Email address inconsistencies

Posted by jsniemi79 on 10-Oct-2014 12:52

I've been trying to get iCal files attached to email notifications when a new event is created on the default calendar object. Our client needs this to be able to use their existing email provider. Everything seems to be firing as I would expect, but the email addresses triggering the notification and tied to the ics file are causing a couple issues. First, I set the "reply to" email address on my trigger to a generic email. however, when the email is generated, it appears to be picking up the default email for the customer tenant instead and is ignoring the one I set. Second, when I get to the actual ics file, it has the from as my user's email address since I created the event. This is causing an issue where I can't add the event to my calendar because it thinks I'm the organizer of the event. I've attached screenshots of the three different emails it is using.

All Replies

Posted by pvorobie on 10-Oct-2014 13:20

Please create relationship between your user and Event. In this case list of Event's participants will include your user. Sending email by itself does not make addressee participant of Event.

Posted by jsniemi79 on 10-Oct-2014 13:33

That relationship already existed.  When I created the event, my user was attached to it.  I get the email notification that the event was created, but I can't add it to an external calendar because the from email address is the same as that calendar and it says I'm the organizer.

Posted by Orchid Corpin on 13-Oct-2014 17:20

Hi,

Can you try to Click on "Reply" from the email? In my testing when I click reply it has the Other email which I specified in the trigger though when I view it, it has the tenant email or name but the "Reply to" seems to be working fine.

Regards,

Orchid

Posted by jsniemi79 on 13-Oct-2014 18:21

Yes, hitting reply does correctly show that email address.  If that is the case, why is the one being show as "from" the customer default email instead of the reply to?  That seems awfully confusing for the end user.

The other piece of this is the iCal file itself.  That one is completely different and shows the from as the user that created the meeting.  That is where Outlook is not allowing it to be added to their calendar because they are technically the organizer.

Posted by Orchid Corpin on 14-Oct-2014 11:16

If changing the "From" you will change the "Default Email Sender" in Administration Setup > Account Settings. To know more about "From" and "Reply to" you can find more info at Chapter 4 > Send Email.

http://documentation.progress.com/output/Rollbase/RB_User_Guide.pdf

I tried sending an email from Outlook (not from Rollbase) and changed the reply to, it doesn't change the "From" email, I think it does really behave this way.

Outlook Sending > Changing Reply to

Email Received

Sorry for the confusion. Hope this may find helpful.

Will now going to test the iCal issue too.

Regards,

Orchid

Posted by jsniemi79 on 21-Oct-2014 11:47

It would be really nice if you could actually have the from email address in account settings be an expression so it can pick up individual users' email addresses.  As it is now, any email ever sent to someone form Rollbase will use a company level setting as the from address and have the user's name listed next to it.  It has proven to be confusing to end users and isn't the most friendly experience.

As for the iCal file, did you have any luck figuring out if that can be changed so the organizer is not the user?

Posted by Orchid Corpin on 22-Oct-2014 17:14

Hi,

Organizer follows the user who created the record, Rollbase has Server-side api "setCreator" this will change the "Created By" value instead of the current user, from this you can set a different organizer (not the current user).

1. Create a new relationship from e.g. many Meeting to one User and rename the lookup like Organizer. 

2. Create an object script trigger and provide the below code. Change the R107950 with your Organizer lookup. Timing is after create.

if(parseInt("{!R107950#id}") > 0) rbv_api.setCreator("meeting", {!id}, "USER", {!R107950#id});

3. Reorder your triggers, make this trigger to run first before your Send Email trigger.

Hope this may help.

Regards,

Orchid

Posted by jsniemi79 on 22-Oct-2014 18:29

This works Orchid, thank you for your help.

Posted by jquerijero on 08-Jan-2015 17:43

Is there a workaround that will work for regular user? rbv_api.setCreator(...) requires admin rights.

This thread is closed