Email Communication Through Rollbase

Posted by dubosegriffin on 09-Oct-2014 16:21

We are trying to log all email communication through rollbase. We do not want to generate all emails through rollbase but rather use a central email address. The ultimate goal would be for email communication to and from an established email address (clientproject@domain.com) be captured in the comm log. If anyone sends an email to clientproject@domain.com, would there be a way via a trigger and other potential rollbase features to store this in the comm log and notify other rollbase users of the correspondence?

Posted by romain.pennes@foederis.fr on 10-Oct-2014 03:21

Hello,

We are doing exactly what Gian proposed.

We use a third party software (called Automated Email Parser) installed on our server which runs every minute and checks all the new Emails that arrived to a specific mailbox in the past minute.

Still in Automated Email Parser, we have a script which connects to our Rollbase instance using REST web services, and creates a record for each email (that has been previously retrieved) using the create2 method from Rollbase REST api. We even put the email attachements in a file upload type of field in Rollbase using the setBinaryData method from the REST api.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Romain.

All Replies

Posted by Gian Torralba on 09-Oct-2014 16:32

Hello,

This is possible but might not be very easy to do. First you need a third party software that will act like a listener to track incoming emails sent to that specific email address. I don't know if outlook has this capability but I believe some did create an email tracker script using other programming language. After that, you need to create a Rollbase REST or SOAP API that will create a new communication log record. Using the google mail integration in Rollbase, you can create a communication log record thru the email view page but must be done manually. I'm sorry if the details are vague.

Hope this helps you anyway,
Gian

Posted by romain.pennes@foederis.fr on 10-Oct-2014 03:21

Hello,

We are doing exactly what Gian proposed.

We use a third party software (called Automated Email Parser) installed on our server which runs every minute and checks all the new Emails that arrived to a specific mailbox in the past minute.

Still in Automated Email Parser, we have a script which connects to our Rollbase instance using REST web services, and creates a record for each email (that has been previously retrieved) using the create2 method from Rollbase REST api. We even put the email attachements in a file upload type of field in Rollbase using the setBinaryData method from the REST api.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Romain.

Posted by dubosegriffin on 10-Oct-2014 18:08

This is tremendously helpful and thank you. So one question. Could this work using a google business apps group?

Posted by Gian Torralba on 13-Oct-2014 10:16

Hello,

I'm sorry but I haven't tried that yet. Though, I don't know if other community members have tried using that.

Thank you,
Gian

This thread is closed