Audit trail

Posted by matman on 22-Sep-2014 07:11

The Audit trail description states "Select this option to enable creation of Audit logs", so how come I can still view Audit logs of events that happened after I disabled the Audit trail?

Posted by Hans De Smet on 23-Sep-2014 03:28

Hi matman,

This I can indeed reproduce. This is what our documentation mentions about auditing and e-mails that are sent (see here):

"Audit trail records are automatically be created in the following cases:
• When record is viewed and "Keep a log…" option is enabled.
• When a record is created or updated and the Object has the Audit Trail attribute enabled.
• When a record is deleted and the Object has the Audit Trail attribute enabled. In this case the
audit trail entry will be recorded in the associated User's audit trail.
• When a Field has the "Track all changes…" attribute enabled and the content of the Field has
been changed (in this case the audit trail record is created without regard to the Object level
Audit Trail attribute).
• When an email related to an Object record is sent. In this case, the View link in the Action
column allows viewing a copy of the email message that was sent."

So for for example updating, the documentation mentions that the Audit Trail attribute needs to be enabled. It does not mention this for when sending an email. Let me check this further internal if the word "automatically" here means that indeed sending an e-mail is always mentioned in the Audit trail.

Kind regards,

Hans

All Replies

Posted by Hans De Smet on 22-Sep-2014 08:10

Hi Matman,

Which event did you do exactly? The definition says:

"Select this option to enable creation of Audit logs when values of selected fields are changeor by invoking triggers and API."

When I edit a record, I do not see it mentioned in the Audit log. I do see a line added when I have checked the option.

BTW: What I did saw is that when I checked Audit Trail option and then unchecked, I also had a line added "Object definition has been updated". If you in the same minute also do an update of a record, this line might be interpreted as being caused because of this update. Maybe this is what you did?

Thanks,

Hans

Posted by matman on 22-Sep-2014 08:16

Hey Hans, thank you for your reply. I didn't see the object definition change audit log. In my scenario an audit log is created every time a mail was sent. Even now, an hour after I've disabled Audit Trail, it's still logging.

Posted by Hans De Smet on 22-Sep-2014 08:54

Hi Matman,

Whith "every time a mail was sent", do you mean when selecting a record and then choose More actions... > Send To ... and then sending a mail? This way I still do not see anything added in the Audit Trail. Or do you mean when sending a mail via a trigger?

BTW: Do you see the same that nothing is added when editing a record (just to know if the issue you see is specific to your test with e-mails)?

Kind regards,

Hans

Posted by matman on 22-Sep-2014 09:05

I am sending my mails using Workflow Actions. After editing a record no logs are added to the Audit Trail. Also worth a note: I have disabled the "Audit Trail", but the component that shows all the logs is still there.

Posted by Hans De Smet on 23-Sep-2014 03:28

Hi matman,

This I can indeed reproduce. This is what our documentation mentions about auditing and e-mails that are sent (see here):

"Audit trail records are automatically be created in the following cases:
• When record is viewed and "Keep a log…" option is enabled.
• When a record is created or updated and the Object has the Audit Trail attribute enabled.
• When a record is deleted and the Object has the Audit Trail attribute enabled. In this case the
audit trail entry will be recorded in the associated User's audit trail.
• When a Field has the "Track all changes…" attribute enabled and the content of the Field has
been changed (in this case the audit trail record is created without regard to the Object level
Audit Trail attribute).
• When an email related to an Object record is sent. In this case, the View link in the Action
column allows viewing a copy of the email message that was sent."

So for for example updating, the documentation mentions that the Audit Trail attribute needs to be enabled. It does not mention this for when sending an email. Let me check this further internal if the word "automatically" here means that indeed sending an e-mail is always mentioned in the Audit trail.

Kind regards,

Hans

Posted by matman on 23-Sep-2014 08:01

Ah, I see. I oughta check the documentation next time :) Thanks a lot for the help, Hans!

This thread is closed