Undeployed object deletion bug

Posted by matman on 18-Sep-2014 04:20

I just undeployed one of my objects and was able to permanently delete them from the system within a second. According to the FAQ page ( https://www.progress.com/products/rollbase/resources/faq ) that shouldn't be possible, right?

All Replies

Posted by Bill Wood on 18-Sep-2014 04:30

What in that page are you referring to?   I often have Objects in Rollbase, undeploy them, and delete them within a second, especially if the objects don’t contain any data, or are External metadata objects.  

Can you clarify the issue you are seeing?

Posted by matman on 18-Sep-2014 04:34

Well I go to 'Application Setup > Objects', then I edit the object, undeploy it and save the changes. Now I press the 'Del' action in front of the object record. I didn't get any one hour delay warning.

Posted by Hans De Smet on 18-Sep-2014 04:36

Which version are you using?

I just tried it and got the message: "This Application was un-deployed less than 1 hour ago. As a safety precaution you will not be able to permanently delete this Application until 18.09.2014 12:29".
Anything else that needs to be done except of creating a new application with for example one object - undeploy - and then delete?

Kind regards,

hans

Posted by matman on 18-Sep-2014 04:42

I am using the latest version of Progress hosted public Rollbase. Nothing else should be done to make this possible. Just undeploy an object that has zero records and you'll be able to delete it permanently immediately. It seems to have been a deliberate programming choice, to prevent frustation. (You don't always want to wait an hour.)

Even though the following scenario doesn't always occur, I do believe it's something to keep in mind: Imagine having finished an object with all the necessary workflow, page setups and custom scripts. And the first thing you do at 8 AM in the morning is accidentally permanently deleting it while being half asleep. Everything would be lost, since the one hour delay rule doesn't seem to apply when there are no records stored for the object.

Posted by Hans De Smet on 18-Sep-2014 04:54

Yes, this was also discussed in this post.

Posted by matman on 18-Sep-2014 05:27

Ah I see. But I do still wonder whether this was a deliberate choice

Posted by ymaisonn on 22-Sep-2014 04:10

This was a deliberate choice

There are 3 protection mechanisms in place preventing from accidentally deleting an object:

- The object must contain zero record (otherwise an 1-hour deplay is required for the deletion request to take effect)

- The object must be undeployed

- The user should press continue when the following warning message occurs:

Are you sure you want to permanently delete this Object Definition along with all object records of this type?

Warning: Deleting this Object Definition will:

Permanently delete all records of this type.

Permanently delete all fields, relationships, pages, views, templates, charts, reports, workflows, maps, and permissions associated with this object definition.

Permanently delete all relationships between this object definition and any other object definitions.

All records of this object type will be permanently deleted. You may want to export all of your records before deleting this object definition.

This action will cause unrecoverable data loss. Please check the box below to confirm that you are aware of this before continuing.

Posted by matman on 22-Sep-2014 05:21

Hey ymaisonn, thanks for the feedback! I guess you'd always keep the people who accidentally delete their objects etc.

This thread is closed