Private Cloud 3.0 : Difference between pas - Pas_Instance

Posted by araqiel on 01-Sep-2014 08:47

Hi,

I''ve installed Private Cloud 3.0. As version 2, the folders trees have changed.

And now there have two strange folders. I don't understand the difference between Rollbase/pas & Rollbase/Pas_Instance.

Could you explain them ?

Thanks,

Posted by Santosh Patel on 01-Sep-2014 14:17

Hi Araqiel,

May I introduce you to Progress Application Server (PAS). PAS is based on Apache Tomcat®, but is tailored to be secure for use in production systems. PAS also simplifies the process required to create and run multiple Rollbase components on different hosts.

You can read about PAS here

Introduction - documentation.progress.com/output/Rollbase/#page/rb/3.0-private-cloud-features-and-changes.html#

Working with Instances - documentation.progress.com/output/Rollbase/#page/rb/working-with-instances.html

Simply put Pas_Instance is your running copy of Rollbase unless you create more instances.

Regards,
Santosh
Posted by Anil Kumar on 02-Sep-2014 04:16
Hi araqiel,

Starting from Rollbase 3.0.2, Progress Rollbase uses Pacific Appserver for hosting the Rollbase application WAR files instead of using the vanilla tomcat server. The Pacific Appserver hierarchy is designed as such it will have a root webserver which is pas and we will have multiple instances which can be increased basing on the requirements. By default the Rollbase application WAR files are placed in the default instance namely pas_instance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

[collapse]
From: araqiel [mailto:bounce-araqiel@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2014 7:18 PM
To: TU.Rollbase@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - Rollbase] Private Cloud 3.0 : Difference between pas - Pas_Instance

Thread created by araqiel

Hi,

I''ve installed Private Cloud 3.0. As version 2, the folders trees have changed.

And now there have two strange folders. I don't understand the difference between Rollbase/pas & Rollbase/Pas_Instance.

Could you explain them ?

Thanks,

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

All Replies

Posted by Santosh Patel on 01-Sep-2014 14:17

Hi Araqiel,

May I introduce you to Progress Application Server (PAS). PAS is based on Apache Tomcat®, but is tailored to be secure for use in production systems. PAS also simplifies the process required to create and run multiple Rollbase components on different hosts.

You can read about PAS here

Introduction - documentation.progress.com/output/Rollbase/#page/rb/3.0-private-cloud-features-and-changes.html#

Working with Instances - documentation.progress.com/output/Rollbase/#page/rb/working-with-instances.html

Simply put Pas_Instance is your running copy of Rollbase unless you create more instances.

Regards,
Santosh
Posted by Anil Kumar on 02-Sep-2014 04:16
Hi araqiel,

Starting from Rollbase 3.0.2, Progress Rollbase uses Pacific Appserver for hosting the Rollbase application WAR files instead of using the vanilla tomcat server. The Pacific Appserver hierarchy is designed as such it will have a root webserver which is pas and we will have multiple instances which can be increased basing on the requirements. By default the Rollbase application WAR files are placed in the default instance namely pas_instance.

Hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Anil Kumar.

[collapse]
From: araqiel [mailto:bounce-araqiel@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2014 7:18 PM
To: TU.Rollbase@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - Rollbase] Private Cloud 3.0 : Difference between pas - Pas_Instance

Thread created by araqiel

Hi,

Could you explain them ?

Thanks,

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]
Posted by Stefan Bolte on 08-Nov-2014 05:36
Posted by bal on 08-Nov-2014 16:43

Where can we download the PAS seperately? Without using the all-in-one installer?

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 10-Nov-2014 07:59
Hi bal,

May I know the reason why you want to get a separate installer for PAS?

Thanks,
Godfrey
Posted by bal on 11-Nov-2014 17:06

I want to install it on our private cloud. We have installed it before with Tomcat. Now we want to remove Tomcat and make use of PAS

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 12-Nov-2014 08:43
For testing purposes, can you provide me the Private Cloud version and operating system you are using?
Posted by bal on 12-Nov-2014 13:41

Windows 2012 R2 and version 3.0.5

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 13-Nov-2014 15:10

From a Private Cloud (3.0.5.0) which uses its own Tomcat, I was able to install PAS by following the instructions on Upgrading to Version 3.0.x. Please check the steps from this link: http://documentation.progress.com/output/Rollbase/index.html#page/rb/upgrading-to-version-3.0.x.html

You can skip steps 9 and 10 since you're already running a 3.0.5.0.

Also, make sure to perform the following before starting PAS:

• If you using MySQL as database, copy the MySQL JDBC driver from 'lib' folder (TomcatX\lib\) of your original Tomcat installation to the 'lib' folder (Rollbase\pas\lib\) of your PAS installation.
  • If you have files stored in your Private Instance, copy the 'storage' folder from (TomcatX\rollbase\) of your original Tomcat installation to the 'rollbase' folder (Rollbase\Pas_Instance\rollbase\) of your PAS.
  • Update the configuration files of PAS (Rollbase\Pas_Instance\rollbase\config) based from your previous setup (TomcatX\rollbase\config\).

Do not delete your original Tomcat until you have confirmed all the components are working.

Good luck!

Godfrey

Posted by bal on 14-Nov-2014 16:53

Hi Godfredy, thanks a lot for your post. But where can we download PAS? I want to download this seperately insted of downloading the installer of rollbase (all in one)

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 24-Nov-2014 11:58
OpenEdge redistributes the application server (PAS) but I haven't tried to use it with Rollbase yet. You can download an evaluation copy from: https://www.progress.com/free-trial-openedge

When you have the PAS-1.x.x.zip distribution file, it has to be manually installed by:
cd install-dir
mkdir pas-dir ; cd pas-dir
unzip /PAS-1.x.x.zip
chmod bin/pas_tailor.sh
bin/pas_tailor -v [ options ] $PWD

Note: There are many command line options for pas_tailor.sh.

Hence, I highly recommend you to use the Rollbase installer instead.
This thread is closed