Create an event with the people/participant who are not roll

Posted by ithrees on 11-Aug-2014 04:44

Hi All, 

In my app, I have to create a meeting/event using an event attribute enabled object by inviting participants who are not in the user list. Currently I can add only user from the user lookup (assignTo) list who are already users.

Help me to find a way to invite people not included in the user list as well.

Thanks in advance,
Ithrees

All Replies

Posted by kiran kumar Angara on 11-Aug-2014 05:17

Hi,

you can make use of the 'iCal' feature to send the events to the users who are not in your users list

1. Create a Event for an object

2. Create a Email Template along with the 'iCal' template token selected from drop down in 'Template Helpers' Section

3. Now go to that object and select the record which you have created

4. click on 'More Actions' drop down and select the option 'Send To'

5. Now in the navigated page select the 'email template' and also enter the user email id to whom you want to send the event

6. Now observe a .ics file got sent to the user. And it can be opened with the email clients like MS-Outlook, Gmail etc.,

Please refer to the documentation (documentation.progress.com/.../index.html) for additional info.

Hope this helps :-)

Thanks & Regards,

Kiran Avs.

Posted by ithrees on 11-Aug-2014 05:31

Thank you Kiran,

Though it is helpful, It seems very manual process of inviting. Is there anyway to automate the same like sending the invitation automatically for each email in the list selected from contacts.

Thanks again.

Posted by romain.pennes@foederis.fr on 11-Aug-2014 07:23

Hello,

You may have another object, for instance "Employees" which are not users.

In that case, you can create a relationship between your Employee object and your Event object.

You may attach multipe participants (employees) to one event and an employee may participate to multiple events. (N-N relationship).

However, I don't think Rollbase default iCal can send .ics invites to employees (non-user object).

But you can create your own generic .ics (iCal) document template ; and you can create an email template with the .ics file as attachment.

We have done it in our apps and it works great.

However, it requires to write one trigger to save the result of the .ics generated file in a "File upload" type of field, to be able to have it as attachment to emails.

Regards,

Romain.

Posted by jsniemi79 on 10-Oct-2014 10:04

Have you had issues with the meeting organizer not being able to add the event to their Outlook calendar?  We are running into that issue now.  From what I can tell there are a couple different methods that can be used when creating the iCal.  One for a request and one for a publish and only the publish allows the meeting organizer to save the file on their Outlook.

This thread is closed