Is there a way to dynamically set a list view?

Posted by jbolstad on 02-Jul-2014 10:05

I have a generic tab that I would like to display a specific view based on the user that is currently logged in.

Initially I was planning on just having a section for each of the 6 possibilities and then set the visibility of that section based on the logged in user, but I am not able to add the same view component to each of the sections (seems odd).  

Any suggestions?

All Replies

Posted by Orchid Corpin on 02-Jul-2014 10:42

Hi Jason,

You can have one section with the object view and just create a list view per user. To do that:

1. In the new/edit page of list view go to the bottom part (Permission section)

2. Uncheck all view permissions for roles to avoid view conflict with your users.

3. Go to the "Individual Users" and select the user you want to have access view to this.

4. Make sure to check the "View" checkbox since it was not automatically checked.

5. Do the same procedure to other user's view.

Hope this may help.

Thanks,

Orchid

Posted by jbolstad on 02-Jul-2014 15:51

That doesn't quite solve my issue.  The users have access to a number of different views for this object and when they are looking at the Object tab they will need to select the view they need.  However I am trying to build a "Dashboard" type tab for them that has information that their team is working on.  So my thought was to create a view that displays the dashboard information along with various other KPIs and then show or hide that section of the page based on the Team that is assigned to their user.  

At this point I have more or less recreated my views as HTML reports and am displaying the correct report based on the user.  It's a little more work, and not quite as much functionality but I think it will do.

Posted by pvorobie on 02-Jul-2014 16:57

You can use client-side API to show/hide page's sections and tabs. Please see Chapter 7 for more info.

Posted by Orchid Corpin on 03-Jul-2014 09:14

Hi Jason,

Another way to do this is to create multiple tabs with list views specific to users.

Same as the procedure above, set the permission of each tabs.

1. In the Tab properties

2. Uncheck all view permissions for roles to avoid view conflict with your users.

3. Go to the "Individual Users" and select the user you want to have access view to this tab.

4. Make sure to check the "View" checkbox since it was not automatically checked.

Hope this will help.

Orchid

Posted by Orchid Corpin on 08-Jul-2014 09:57

Hi Jason,

Is the suggestion above works for you? or do you still have any questions?

Thanks,

Orchid

Posted by Santosh Patel on 01-Aug-2014 05:36

Hi jbolstad,

Page Versions is what you are looking for. You can have multiple versions of the list page (each set to show a different view of the same object list) and then according to your specific user assign page versions that  particular user would see.

Please check the documentation link shared below for further info. Do get back if you have any doubts.

documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Regards,

Santosh

Posted by ornhill on 04-Feb-2015 20:25

On 03 Jul 2014, at 16:15, Orchid Corpin <bounce-ocorpin@community.progress.com> wrote:

Reply by Orchid Corpin

Hi Jason,

Another way to do this is to create multiple tabs with list views specific to users.

Same as the procedure above, set the permission of each tabs.

1. In the Tab properties

3. Go to the "Individual Users" and select the user you want to have access view to this tab.

Hope this will help.

Orchid

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Srinivas Panyala on 05-Feb-2015 00:04

Please refer to this documentation link documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Thanks

Srinivas

Posted by pcs on 23-Oct-2016 17:03

I need to set the List View dynamically based on a "record type" (picklist) to handle a polymorphic dependency. Depending on the "type of record" being viewed, a could like the view of child records to be different (same object with different columns showing). This is not based on user profiles but on the type of record.

This thread is closed