Is it possible to have two valid Rollbase sessions for the s

Posted by mopfer on 21-May-2014 15:28

There is information in my Rollbase application that I wish to make available to several hundred customers by allowing them to access it from their non-Rollbase application by calling the Rollbase API to get to my Rollbase application.

Since calling the API involves connecting to Rollbase, getting logged into Rollbase, and then making API calls to do the desired work, there is an opportunity for one customer to get logged in and start the work and then another customer logs in to start the process before the first customer finishes the set of API calls that need to be made to get the information. If both customers are using the same user ID to login, the first customer's session gets killed as soon as the second customer logs in.  Is there a way to allow one particular user ID to have multiple valid logged-in sessions at the same time?

I would prefer not to have to manage several hundred different user IDs to allow each customer to have their own ID for getting to the data, and I would prefer that the code in the non-Rollbase application not have to be adjusted to handle getting those different user ID and passwords from somewhere.

All Replies

Posted by Bill Wood on 21-May-2014 15:43

As you noted, sessionID is limited to one active session per user credential, but you can also authenticate individual requests with Basic Authentication. (See Chapter 15 in Rollbase In Action).

The sessionID is useful when you want to hold the authentication across multiple requests. Using Basic-Authentication means each request contains the username/password so you should only do this over https, but because requests are self-contained you won't run into conflicting sessions.

I believe this was added as a feature in Rollbase 2.2. =)

Posted by mopfer on 21-May-2014 16:16

Thanks for the information Bill.  The non-Rollbase application is written in the ABL, which doesn’t have much support for making REST calls at this point.  I don’t see the Basic-Authentication approach when I’m looking at the SOAP API part of Chapter 15.  Am I looking in the wrong place, or is Basic-Authentication only available in the REST API?

[collapse]