Designing and creating application

Posted by Seyma on 19-May-2014 10:49

We will create a database for Student, Alumni, Board members, and Employee contacts, each category having different fields of information.  We need to gather reports like all Alumni who have worked at company x, all employee contacts for company y, etc.  Any suggestions or hints when designing the database?

Posted by wmtwood on 20-May-2014 08:52

If this is about Rollbase, then at some level, you have a good description of the Objects already in your description.   Rollbase natively creates the reports and you can filter and sort on any column.

I would start by protoyping one or two Objects (import data from a Spreadsheet might make your "getting started" experience better. ) and then seeing if the reports you want come naturally.  I suspect many will.

Sumit has probably already told you about Easyl and getting more complex datasets and analytics from Rollbase data sources, so I won't belabor that point.

A final suggestion is that if you have Rollbase specific technical questions, you should post those in the Forum under:

- Technical Users (Group)

- Rollbase (Forum)

Good luck.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-May-2014 11:10

If you don't have database design expertise in house, hire a consultant.

Posted by Sumit Sarkar on 19-May-2014 14:09

To clarify, the question is specific to Rollbase around best practices in the design of objects and their relationships for native reporting purposes.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-May-2014 14:28

RollBase, OpenEdge, or Access, it is still an issue of database design.

Posted by wmtwood on 20-May-2014 08:52

If this is about Rollbase, then at some level, you have a good description of the Objects already in your description.   Rollbase natively creates the reports and you can filter and sort on any column.

I would start by protoyping one or two Objects (import data from a Spreadsheet might make your "getting started" experience better. ) and then seeing if the reports you want come naturally.  I suspect many will.

Sumit has probably already told you about Easyl and getting more complex datasets and analytics from Rollbase data sources, so I won't belabor that point.

A final suggestion is that if you have Rollbase specific technical questions, you should post those in the Forum under:

- Technical Users (Group)

- Rollbase (Forum)

Good luck.

This thread is closed