Lookup field value

Posted by n.zuure on 12-Mar-2014 10:45

Hello,

I have a problem with lookups.

in our application several objects have descriptions that depend on the language of the current user.

now every object has an unique id that automatically increments, what i want with the lookup is that it does not fill In this unique id (the record name) but the description that is related to the language.

Explanation

Object A has a one to many relationship with object A_description
Object B has a many to one relation with A.

In the lookup i don't want to see the record name of A but the A_description that is related to the user language.

(in the view of A i already have a formulafield that shows correct A_description)

Does anybody know or this is possible?

Posted by Chandrasekhar Gontla on 13-Mar-2014 04:56

Hi,

I think it is not possible.

But, I know a workaround (may be you too know this)

If you click on 999 link in 'New B' page then you will know the description that is attached to 999.

Hope this helps.

All Replies

Posted by Chandrasekhar Gontla on 13-Mar-2014 03:09

Hi,

In object selector page (in this case A's selector page), we should need to have record name.

If you want, you can have 'A_description' along with record name.

Steps:

Go to A's object definition-> Views section.

Edit view and add 'A_Description' field from Available Columns to Selected Columns list and save it.

Now, Go to B's record list page (means B's tab) and click on 'New B' button and then click on A's look up field.

Observe that you can see both A's record name and A_description value as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Posted by n.zuure on 13-Mar-2014 03:24

Thanks for the answer, but what i actually ment is a step further in the process. I'll add a picture to clear up what i mean.

Posted by Chandrasekhar Gontla on 13-Mar-2014 04:13

Hi,

Only record name will be shown as a link when you selected that record from selector page.

I have one question.

-> Do you need separate object for Description?

You can create a field (A_description) inside A object.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Posted by n.zuure on 13-Mar-2014 04:30

thanks again for your answer,

Yes, i need a separate object for the description.

The amount of descriptions that i have are depending on the amount of languages the user has.

do you know or the text in the field can be change to the 'Generated' instead of '999' (this is on the generate page itself and not from the selector)

Posted by Chandrasekhar Gontla on 13-Mar-2014 04:56

Hi,

I think it is not possible.

But, I know a workaround (may be you too know this)

If you click on 999 link in 'New B' page then you will know the description that is attached to 999.

Hope this helps.

Posted by Jean Richert on 17-Mar-2014 06:08

Hello n.zuure,

As apparently what you're trying to achieve is only possible through workarounds, you may want to submit a product idea (enhancement request). If you're willing to do so then please report it in the Rollbase ideas section within our Community. It's available at community.progress.com/.../default.aspx

Doing so, other users will be able to comment and promote it too.

This thread is closed