Rollbase JDBC Driver

Posted by nicholasc69 on 26-Feb-2014 01:22

Hi,

How can I enable the Rollbase JDBC driver so I can query my Rollbase applications with SQL?

Posted by Bill Wood on 03-Mar-2014 10:57

I just learned that the driver mentioned above in Chapter 15 or Rollbase In Action was an 'alpha' / investigation project that is no longer available as a download.  The DataDirect Cloud driver is the recommended way of connecting (even between on-premise clients and Rollbase instances).

The 'inactive' link that nicolasc69 mentioned above is intensionally inactive as the driver is not official.   The references in the Rollbase in Action document will be removed as well.

All Replies

Posted by sah on 26-Feb-2014 18:02

Public or Private?

Public – you can use D2C to get access to the  data via ODBC (not sure if D2C works with JDBC).

Private – If it is an OE database backend you can use the JDBC driver that is supplied with OE however the tables (meta data) are not that meaningful.     Maybe we should create an Open Access JDBC/ODBC driver for OE db working with Rollbase.   Good idea?  

My two cents...

Posted by nicholasc69 on 27-Feb-2014 03:49

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the advise. Its private cloud that I'm working with.

I'm referring the JDBC Driver which is inactivate in the Application Setup Screen. See attached:

Is this the same thing for private?

Regards,

Nick

Posted by Bill Wood on 27-Feb-2014 23:33

Ah.  I see what you are asking.   (as a side note, the DataDirect Connect JDBC driver for Rollbase is an item on the DataDirect roadmap.  If you have feelings about the priority, you should add this in the Idea forum and vote for it.)

Wrt the JDBC driver that Nick mentions above.  This is an experimental prototype that is described more fully in Rollbase in Action - Chapter 15 (www.rollbase.com/.../chapter15.pdf).  To quote that chapter:

The Rollbase JDBC driver is currently an experimental project, with the intent to allow external
programmatic access to a customer’s Rollbase database through REST HTTP calls wrapped in
the convenient and familiar JDBC mechanism. You can download the Rollbase JDBC Driver
from the Application Setup > JDBC Driver page.

Note: The current implementation is limited to SELECT queries only.

You may be interested in the sample Java program included in the distribution ZIP file for an
example of how to use the Rollbase JDBC driver.

In SQL queries run through Rollbase JDBC Driver you can use objects’ integration names as
table names and fields’ integration names as columns. Examples of valid queries:

SELECT COUNT(1) FROM invoice 

SELECT id, name, amount FROM invoice WHERE amount>0 

Posted by Brent Adonis on 03-Mar-2014 08:13

This is not an answer as I assume one was already provided, but can you let me know where you downloaded the JDBC driver from?

Posted by Bill Wood on 03-Mar-2014 10:57

I just learned that the driver mentioned above in Chapter 15 or Rollbase In Action was an 'alpha' / investigation project that is no longer available as a download.  The DataDirect Cloud driver is the recommended way of connecting (even between on-premise clients and Rollbase instances).

The 'inactive' link that nicolasc69 mentioned above is intensionally inactive as the driver is not official.   The references in the Rollbase in Action document will be removed as well.

This thread is closed