How to use OpenEdge database in rollbase?

Posted by Rajinder Kamboj on 24-Feb-2014 05:39

Hi,

I am evaluating Rollbase for our customers and using evaluation 90 days version. I have one application running over the amazon cloud. I want to see if I can use running database in Rollbase to develop new modules. How I can achieve this from rollbase?

Thanks,

--Rajinder

Posted by Bill Wood on 24-Feb-2014 05:52

There are 3 main ways to get OpenEdge data -- one is the OpenEdge Service Object, but that goes to ABL Business Entities running on the AppServer.   From the title of the question, you seem to want to get database records directly.

It that is the case then the two options are:

1)  If the database is 'on-premise', but you want to use Rollbase hosted cloud at pacific.progress.com, then you need to use the OpenEdge On-Premise Data Source, and create objects in Rollbase from DataDirect Cloud objects.

2) Typically, it is more common to instead use "External Database Tables" in Rollbase and hook directly to the OpenEdge database.  For this you are required to have Rollbase and OpenEdge installed on the same machine (so you cannot have a hosted Rollbase).   You must have a pre-existing OpenEdge 11.3.2 license and then install your Rollbase metadata into that database.    You should see Appendix C in Rollbase In Action to learn about "External Database Tables", and then look at the on-premise install which contains instructions for connection to an existing OE DB.

All Replies

Posted by Bill Wood on 24-Feb-2014 05:52

There are 3 main ways to get OpenEdge data -- one is the OpenEdge Service Object, but that goes to ABL Business Entities running on the AppServer.   From the title of the question, you seem to want to get database records directly.

It that is the case then the two options are:

1)  If the database is 'on-premise', but you want to use Rollbase hosted cloud at pacific.progress.com, then you need to use the OpenEdge On-Premise Data Source, and create objects in Rollbase from DataDirect Cloud objects.

2) Typically, it is more common to instead use "External Database Tables" in Rollbase and hook directly to the OpenEdge database.  For this you are required to have Rollbase and OpenEdge installed on the same machine (so you cannot have a hosted Rollbase).   You must have a pre-existing OpenEdge 11.3.2 license and then install your Rollbase metadata into that database.    You should see Appendix C in Rollbase In Action to learn about "External Database Tables", and then look at the on-premise install which contains instructions for connection to an existing OE DB.

Posted by Rajinder Kamboj on 24-Feb-2014 06:20

Hi Wood,

Thanks for quick reply. One of customer application is in CHUI (4GL)  and I suggested them to developed new modules in rollbase. They told me that first create a three-four screens by using their current database. My next question: is this possible to develop new module with rollbase and keep using old modules as it is? If yes then can you give me reference to any documentation in Rollbase in action?

Thanks once again for your reply.

Posted by Rajinder Kamboj on 24-Feb-2014 06:37

Hi Again,

Another question is how I can create Rollbase object for OE. My database is running on Amazon machine and I want to use this running database in rollbase for screen design and to perform CRUD from rollbase.

Thanks,

--Rajinder

Posted by Bill Wood on 24-Feb-2014 06:42

First, I would recommend the OpenEdge Service objects rather than the direct database connection if you plan continue updating the database via ABL (even ChUI) while accessing it from Rollbase (effectively via SQL), so that all the business logic can be encapsulated.

There is no specific reference to multiple clients (ABL and Rollbase) accessing the same database in Rollbase In Action because this is just 'normal' behavior.   No matter which way you go (OpenEdge Service object or External Database Tables) you can have multiple clients and client types reading and writing data.  Ultimately it is just the power of the OpenEdge stack which is multi-user.   There is nothing special about Rollbase here....  it is just a Java (or SQL) client that can coexist with ABL clients..

Posted by Bill Wood on 24-Feb-2014 06:47

WRT:

how I can create Rollbase object for OE. My database is running on Amazon machine and I want to use this running database in rollbase for screen design and to perform CRUD from rollbase

Please check out my first response.   How to use External Database Tables for creating Objects from External Metadata is described in Appendix C.   To do the same with OpenEdge Service objects is documented in Appendix E of Rollbase in Action.   

If you go the External Database Table route, then in order to use your Amazon EC2 Instance of OpenEdge DB,then you must install a private cloud instance of Rollbase on the machine with access to your OpenEdge DB.  (I have not done this, but it should be possible...  but it must be an on-premise install of Rollbase.  Rollbase hosted does not talk to OpenEdge DB directly, though it can via D2C which could be a simple option for you,

This thread is closed