A better JavaScript editor?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 22-Jan-2014 04:50

I'm known not to be a fan of JavaScript at all. But the fact that in Rollbase JavaScript trigger code has to be edited in a pure, unformatted text area does not raise my fun at all.

Is it possible to integrate a JavaScript editor that supports

- syntax highlighting

- collapsible blocks

- basic error indications

into Rollbase?

All Replies

Posted by Bill Wood on 22-Jan-2014 05:25

First comment.... This would make a good "idea" for voting on. I would give it a thumbs up.

Secondly, one thought might be to take the OpenEdge Mobile editor for JavaScript and reuse it here. I am curious if others have any thoughts on a good open source javascript editor. =

Posted by venreddy on 22-Jan-2014 05:28
Posted by Mike Fechner on 22-Jan-2014 05:35

I had seen ACE in the past. Looks very nice.

Question is if it's technically and license wise feasible to integrate that into Rollbase.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 22-Jan-2014 05:36

[quote user="wood"]Secondly, one thought might be to take the OpenEdge Mobile editor for JavaScript and reuse it here. I am curious if others have any thoughts on a good open source javascript editor. =

[/quote]

Bill, the last time I looked at it (I admit that's a while ago) that wasn't that much better as well. Has it improved?

Posted by Bill Wood on 22-Jan-2014 05:50

I don't know specifics of when you saw it, but it has many of the feature you mention - color coding. Indenting. (But not all). =

Posted by Bill Wood on 22-Jan-2014 08:42

For all those that are interested in this, there is an IDEA on the Rollbase:Challenge area.  Please Vote for it!

community.progress.com/.../having_a_full_web_code_editor_embedded_in_rollbase_for_scripting.aspx

Posted by Harold-Jan Verlee on 23-Jan-2014 03:38

There is a lot of buzz right now around Light Table. See: http://www.chris-granger.com/2012/04/12/light-table---a-new-ide-concept/ and/or  http://www.lighttable.com/.
Light Table is an Open Source application allowing for immediate feedback when writing JavaScript including the ability to inject the code into a web site to review execution behavior.

Posted by Bill Wood on 23-Jan-2014 11:09

A gentle nudge... Lots of comments here, i see, but no new votes for this feature in the Idea Space.....  

This thread is closed