How to configure Permission among Roles when creating new Us

Posted by rli@rev.com.au on 02-Jan-2014 22:20

Hello there.

As an Administrator, I've created several User Roles like below:

Role1: Sales Manager

Role2: Sales Person

Role3: Finance Service Manager

Role4: Finance Service Staff

In my case, each Sales Manager is only able to create new users with role of Sales Person. However, all User Roles listed above are available in the pickup list when I logged in as a Sales Manager to create new user.

I'm wondering how to configure the visibility permissions among different roles.

I'd like to use Rollbase to do this, or do I have to add Javascript component to restrict options on the front-end side?

Posted by Santosh Patel on 03-Jan-2014 01:29

Hello,

Note that User Role is a compulsory system field that is required in all forms, so a value has to be specified always and in all pages.

However, You can achieve your use case with following steps:

- Edit 'User Role' field in User object and set default value to 'Sales Person'

- Goto User Object Definition -> Pages section

- Clone the New User page (it takes you to Edit mode for the new page)

- Rename page appropriately (e.g. New Sales Person)

- Select the User Role field and make it Read Only (notice the value 'Sales Person' set as default)

Now you need to set this newly created page as the default New User page for Role Sales Manager

- Goto Administration Setup -> Roles -> Click Pages (action) against Sales Manager

- Expand User and change New User value to "New Sales Person"

The New User button for a Sales Manager login will open up the "New Sales Person" page with user role set to Sales Person only. Also note that setting the default value for User Role only means that an Administrator creating a new user will show Sales Person as the default role but will have all other options still open.

Please come back with questions if any.

Regards,

Santosh

All Replies

Posted by Santosh Patel on 03-Jan-2014 01:29

Hello,

Note that User Role is a compulsory system field that is required in all forms, so a value has to be specified always and in all pages.

However, You can achieve your use case with following steps:

- Edit 'User Role' field in User object and set default value to 'Sales Person'

- Goto User Object Definition -> Pages section

- Clone the New User page (it takes you to Edit mode for the new page)

- Rename page appropriately (e.g. New Sales Person)

- Select the User Role field and make it Read Only (notice the value 'Sales Person' set as default)

Now you need to set this newly created page as the default New User page for Role Sales Manager

- Goto Administration Setup -> Roles -> Click Pages (action) against Sales Manager

- Expand User and change New User value to "New Sales Person"

The New User button for a Sales Manager login will open up the "New Sales Person" page with user role set to Sales Person only. Also note that setting the default value for User Role only means that an Administrator creating a new user will show Sales Person as the default role but will have all other options still open.

Please come back with questions if any.

Regards,

Santosh

This thread is closed