Portal users activity is not properly logged in "Audit

Posted by Roman on 22-Dec-2013 00:57

Hi,

I noticed that sometimes when record is modified by Portal user,  "Audit Trail" is marking record being modified by "Guest" despite that page in Portal for modification of the record require user log-in.

In some cases in "Audit Trail" showing modified filed but instead of User Name who modified is showing blank.

Please clarify this.

Posted by Roman on 31-Jan-2014 03:05

As per Progress support, it will be fixed in the next release.

All Replies

Posted by Bill Wood on 22-Dec-2013 04:03

I am not 100% sure but I believe that the answer is that the Portal uses "visitors" (both authenticated and unauthenticated) compared to the normal RollBase that uses Users (see Chapter 12: Portals... in Rollbase In Action).   
I expect that as such portal interactions are treated as Guests, and that Audit trail is done for Users.  
Did you check the doc on Audit Trails?

Posted by Roman on 22-Dec-2013 04:18

Ok then why in other cases I can see in Audit trail, ID of portal user who modified the records?

There is not consistency, it can be:

User ID ( of Portal user)

"Guest"

or it can be nothing at all, just a record in Audit trail without any reference who did this modification.

Posted by Bill Wood on 22-Dec-2013 04:34

Thanks for the clarification.  
We will both have to wait for someone with more knowledge of the internals to respond.  ;-)

Posted by gchilama on 29-Dec-2013 21:40

Is a blank username shown in portal pages?

Posted by venreddy on 02-Jan-2014 07:48

Hi Roman,

I have tried audit trail and found out the following:

1) A blank is shown when the portal is being used by a visitor for operation - update,create.(assuming that login is not required to update/create)

2) There is no audit trail logged if a visitor has viewed/read a record.(assuming that login is not required to view/read)

3) UserName is shown in audit trail if any of create,read,update is performed.(assuming user is logged in)

Can you help me reproduce when the "Guest" label is shown?

Thanks

Posted by Roman on 31-Jan-2014 03:05

As per Progress support, it will be fixed in the next release.

Posted by IramK on 01-Mar-2017 10:48

Hello guys,

So, if we are using a different object as our Portal User object, would the Audit Trail log that as a "Guest" in all instances despite being logged in?

Cheers.

Iram

This thread is closed