Log - Display only Tail

Posted by kbachtold on 25-Nov-2013 14:51

We use fairly large log file size (10MB each) and capture multiple files, because the size of our install generates a huge amount of logging data on a daily basis.  As a result, trying to view a typical log file from the UI takes a couple minutes just to load the log file, so we typically end up logging directly into the server and opening the file directly on the backend.

Is it possible we could request a feature that shows the "tail of the log"?  Perhaps options to show the last 10 | 100 | 1000 lines or something like that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

~ Kurt

Posted by Laurent on 25-Nov-2013 16:23

You might want to post this on community.progress.com/.../default.aspx

All Replies

Posted by Laurent on 25-Nov-2013 16:23

You might want to post this on community.progress.com/.../default.aspx

Posted by Ruanne Cluer on 26-Nov-2013 02:46

Well we already have this in the OpenEdge Management/Explorer Log File viewer?

Posted by kbachtold on 26-Nov-2013 07:17

Hi rcluer,

Thanks for your input.  We are a private cloud customer and we are hosting our RollBase in SQL Azure.  I'm not familiar with the OpenEdge Management tool, is that something I install?

Thanks,

~ Kurt

Posted by Ruanne Cluer on 11-Dec-2013 06:18

Sorry Kurt, I didn't take into account the log files are related to RollBase environment. OEM is a separate license but hasn't been enhanced for Rollbase at this time.  To be honest, I ususally use the UNIX utils for Windows. It's an easy zip file and 'tail' is my friend ;)

This thread is closed