How to integrate application developed by Rollbase with othe

Posted by wilmoslee on 12-Nov-2013 19:12

Hi , just a general question, if let say we develop a simple application by using Rollbase, how can it then integrate with third party applications that was not hosted by Rollbase? great to provide me the architecture link or diagram for reference. many thanks.

Posted by Laurent on 14-Nov-2013 12:31

I do not know if there is any other documentation but Rollbase in Action. As far as the integration, it depends what you want to do. For instance, if you want to pull out information out of Rollbase you can use its REST API or SOAP API (see Chapter 15).

Posted by cohezive on 14-Nov-2013 12:52

Under the "suppose one can do something with web services" - the simple (and most common) answer is via REST service calls to the external application.  Normally this is done via triggers and workflow (similar to an SFDC approach to the same issue).   The specific architecture used is dependent on a number of factors defined by the external application, but in most cases it's consistent with traditional SOA processes and frameworks.  

With a SOA model, you are very likely to need some form of orchestration or integration layer between Rollbase and the external application.  This could be as simple as an ETL or as complex as a MQ-based model.  A lot depends on the Service Requirements and ability to guarantee delivery/response.  Progress has other products that can also assist/enhance the approach (e.g. Data Direct and Corticon).

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 14-Nov-2013 09:39

You really should post this on the Technical Users Rollbase Forum.   The short answer is probably AppServer, although I suppose one can do something with web services.  In particular, some time next year we will get the "next gen" AppServer based on Tomcat so that you can run processes in ABL, Java, and Javascript on the server.

Posted by Laurent on 14-Nov-2013 12:31

I do not know if there is any other documentation but Rollbase in Action. As far as the integration, it depends what you want to do. For instance, if you want to pull out information out of Rollbase you can use its REST API or SOAP API (see Chapter 15).

Posted by cohezive on 14-Nov-2013 12:52

Under the "suppose one can do something with web services" - the simple (and most common) answer is via REST service calls to the external application.  Normally this is done via triggers and workflow (similar to an SFDC approach to the same issue).   The specific architecture used is dependent on a number of factors defined by the external application, but in most cases it's consistent with traditional SOA processes and frameworks.  

With a SOA model, you are very likely to need some form of orchestration or integration layer between Rollbase and the external application.  This could be as simple as an ETL or as complex as a MQ-based model.  A lot depends on the Service Requirements and ability to guarantee delivery/response.  Progress has other products that can also assist/enhance the approach (e.g. Data Direct and Corticon).

This thread is closed