Finding N?mo: Playing with Lucene text search

Posted by Bill Wood on 22-Oct-2013 16:42

This is partially a comment and partially a question.

Comment:   I was trying out the Full Text search in Rollbase and realized that this is based on using Lucerne to index records what are enabled for full text search.

From using other products, I know that Lucene has a number of advanced query searches  (see http://lucene.apache.org/core/2_9_4/queryparsersyntax.html): such as wildcard searches, operators, as well as some more advanced features:

I was trying this out (with, for example, To-do records with data for Subject0

A. Subj has IPSO
B. Subj has LOREM
C. Subj has IPSO LOREM
D.Subj has IPSO followed by six words and then LOREM

Wildcard searches will work:

Search: ip?o  >>> Finds A, C, D

Search: lo*m >>> Finds B, C, D

Operators will work:

Search:  ipso AND NOT lorem  >> Only finds A

Search:  ipso AND lorem  >> Finds C and D

My question....  I was not able to make Proximity Searches or Field searches work.....  Any idea why not?

Proximity Searches do not seem to work:

Search:  “ipso lorem”~2  (within two words) should return C, but does not.

Field Searches (does not seem to work)

Search: Subject:IPSO             >> returns nothing

Search: todoSubject:IPSO     >> returns nothing

Posted by Bill Wood on 24-Oct-2013 13:57

FYI... I did find that the Lucene searches are mentioned in the Rollbase In Action documentation under "Chapter 3: Views and Serach" >> Global Text Searches  (approx p. 108).

This explains the above in more detail, for most of the above, but does not talk about "Field Searches", so they are probably not supported.

I did try these and they do work:

Fuzzy Searches (does not seem to work)

Search: ALSO~             >> correctly returns same as "IPSO" (A, C, D)

More research did uncover that Proximity searches do not work (and this is being looked into as a defect).

All Replies

Posted by Bill Wood on 24-Oct-2013 13:57

FYI... I did find that the Lucene searches are mentioned in the Rollbase In Action documentation under "Chapter 3: Views and Serach" >> Global Text Searches  (approx p. 108).

This explains the above in more detail, for most of the above, but does not talk about "Field Searches", so they are probably not supported.

I did try these and they do work:

Fuzzy Searches (does not seem to work)

Search: ALSO~             >> correctly returns same as "IPSO" (A, C, D)

More research did uncover that Proximity searches do not work (and this is being looked into as a defect).

This thread is closed