Searching whitepaper about external objects in Rollbase that

Posted by Jurjen Dijkstra on 16-Oct-2013 03:15

Last week at the Exchange we learned that Rollbase allows to create external objects, that don't map to a database table using SQL, but instead map to CRUD methods in the Appserver (via REST-server). There is a whitepaper describing how this is done.

I am now assigned to do a POC/Prototype so I am searching for this whitepaper, really need it in a hurry. But can't find it. Please can someone point me to the location of that whitepaper?

Thanks,

Jurjen.

Posted by Bill Wood on 16-Oct-2013 06:21

I do not believe the specific white paper you mention exists, but there are ones that are similar or related.  I know that at Exchange 2013, there were dozens of sessions with information on whitepapers, roadmaps, and features, so there could be some confusion.  I hope this straightens this out -- I will say that I have not been involved with every white paper, but I have been a reviewer on many of them.

Related Whitepapers:

• White Paper: Accessing the OpenEdge AppsServer from Rollbase using Object Script
    • see: community.progress.com/community_groups/rollbase/m/documents/1160.aspx
    • This describes invoking business logic on the AppServer from Rollbase server or client coding.  You can use this to invoke CRUD operations defined in an OpenEdge Mobile Business Entity or any RESTful interface as well as invoking generic business logic methods, but this does not automatically create Rollbase Objects.
    • This whitepaper was posted on October 18, 2013.
  • Accessing the Progress OpenEdge AppServer from Progress Rollbase Using the JSDO
    • See: www.progress.com/.../white-papers or http://businessmaking.progress.com/forms/wpr-AccessingOEAppServerfromRollbaseJSDO
    • This is a whitepaper on the main Progress site, not Community, that describes how to integrate the JSDO from OpenEdge Mobile onto your Rollbase web client application.   (As noted in the thread, this is not what is requested because it is client-side access, not binding the JSDO to Rollbase server Objects.)
    • This is an older paper that was published in July/Aug 2013and works with older Rollbase instances (but is also a good description of how to use the OpenEdge Mobile JSDO with any generic web framework)
  • Calling ABL Business Logic from Rollbase via OpenClient 
    • This shows how to take Java Proxy and other OpenClient classes and use those in Rollbase Object Script.  

The specific question in this thread is about creating Rollbase Objects tied to OpenEdge data structures.  

• Creating Rollbase Objects tied to OpenEdge Database Tables is possible in the October Rollbase Release (v2.0).
    • This is not a white paper -- but rather a standard feature of Rollbase (as noted above in other responses)
    • See: http://www.progress.com/~/media/Progress/Documents/Rollbase/Rollbase%20in%20Action/appendixC.pdf
  • Creating Rollbase Objects tied to OpenEdge AppServer Business Entities 
    • This was released in December (v2.1).  This is a product feature, not a white paper.
    • What was announced at Exchange 2013 was the ability to create Rollbase Objects from DataDirect Cloud datasources, such as Salesforce.com.

(and apologies to anyone who gets this response as an unwanted mail message ;-)

All Replies

Posted by John Goodland on 16-Oct-2013 03:19

Sure - have a look here businessmaking.progress.com/.../wpr-AccessingOEAppServerfromRollbaseJSDO. If you are familiar with oemobile jsdo this will be very, very easy to do.

Posted by Jurjen Dijkstra on 16-Oct-2013 03:27

Thanks John, but no that's a different whitepaper, not the one I am waiting for. The whitepaper you point at is a couple of months old and describes how to fetch data from client-side JScript (the script executes in the HTML browser). The whitepaper I am searching is about defining external objects where the CRUD actions map to appserver calls. Mike Ormerod said during the Exchange that this whitepaper is new, less than a couple of weeks old, and "somewhere on a website".

Posted by Stefan Bolte on 16-Oct-2013 03:29

Hello Jurjen,

Are you searching the Whitepaper "Accessing the Progress OpenEdge AppServer from Progress Rollbase Using the JSDO" on www.progress.com/.../white-papers

Regards, Stefan

Posted by Jurjen Dijkstra on 16-Oct-2013 03:30

Hi Stefan, no not that whitepaper but a new one, about external objects. Thanks anyway

Posted by Stefan Bolte on 16-Oct-2013 03:37

Not sure whether there is a distinct White Paper on External Tables in an OpenEdge RDBMS, however, there is Appendix C introducing the feature "external tables", see here:

www.progress.com/.../appendixC.pdf

Maybe that one gets you the answers?

Regards, Stefan

Posted by Mike Fechner on 16-Oct-2013 03:40

Hi Stefan, external tables need to reside in the same database as the portal database and are not available on the hosted Rollbase.

Jurjen asked about a WP for accessing the AppServer. To my knowledge that WP is still under review.

Posted by John Goodland on 16-Oct-2013 03:47

sorry Jurjen, I can't say I've seen the white paper you mention. "somewhere on a website" good luck finding that..... Although Mike's comments above suggest it maybe not available yet.

Posted by Jurjen Dijkstra on 16-Oct-2013 03:52

Still under review, that could be it. Thanks.

Posted by Marian Edu on 16-Oct-2013 04:01

Hi Jurjen, you might check out that jdbc driver we've talk about last year... didn't implemented 'select over stored procedures' but added some 'view' component that works with select but delegate fetch to a business logic routine - no support for update on views just yet though :(

Posted by Jurjen Dijkstra on 16-Oct-2013 04:18

Chriselst, your response is very off-topic to this thread, you should and could have created a new question. Manage your subscriptions at page community.progress.com/.../forumsubscriptions.aspx

Posted by Jurjen Dijkstra on 16-Oct-2013 05:01

Please people, I agree that the default "you are now subscribed to everything" is annoying but please use your anger energy not for disturbing a conversation, but for finding a solution. Like, unsubscribe here: community.progress.com/.../forumsubscriptions.aspx

Posted by Bill Wood on 16-Oct-2013 06:21

I do not believe the specific white paper you mention exists, but there are ones that are similar or related.  I know that at Exchange 2013, there were dozens of sessions with information on whitepapers, roadmaps, and features, so there could be some confusion.  I hope this straightens this out -- I will say that I have not been involved with every white paper, but I have been a reviewer on many of them.

Related Whitepapers:

• White Paper: Accessing the OpenEdge AppsServer from Rollbase using Object Script
    • see: community.progress.com/community_groups/rollbase/m/documents/1160.aspx
    • This describes invoking business logic on the AppServer from Rollbase server or client coding.  You can use this to invoke CRUD operations defined in an OpenEdge Mobile Business Entity or any RESTful interface as well as invoking generic business logic methods, but this does not automatically create Rollbase Objects.
    • This whitepaper was posted on October 18, 2013.
  • Accessing the Progress OpenEdge AppServer from Progress Rollbase Using the JSDO
    • See: www.progress.com/.../white-papers or http://businessmaking.progress.com/forms/wpr-AccessingOEAppServerfromRollbaseJSDO
    • This is a whitepaper on the main Progress site, not Community, that describes how to integrate the JSDO from OpenEdge Mobile onto your Rollbase web client application.   (As noted in the thread, this is not what is requested because it is client-side access, not binding the JSDO to Rollbase server Objects.)
    • This is an older paper that was published in July/Aug 2013and works with older Rollbase instances (but is also a good description of how to use the OpenEdge Mobile JSDO with any generic web framework)
  • Calling ABL Business Logic from Rollbase via OpenClient 
    • This shows how to take Java Proxy and other OpenClient classes and use those in Rollbase Object Script.  

The specific question in this thread is about creating Rollbase Objects tied to OpenEdge data structures.  

• Creating Rollbase Objects tied to OpenEdge Database Tables is possible in the October Rollbase Release (v2.0).
    • This is not a white paper -- but rather a standard feature of Rollbase (as noted above in other responses)
    • See: http://www.progress.com/~/media/Progress/Documents/Rollbase/Rollbase%20in%20Action/appendixC.pdf
  • Creating Rollbase Objects tied to OpenEdge AppServer Business Entities 
    • This was released in December (v2.1).  This is a product feature, not a white paper.
    • What was announced at Exchange 2013 was the ability to create Rollbase Objects from DataDirect Cloud datasources, such as Salesforce.com.

(and apologies to anyone who gets this response as an unwanted mail message ;-)

Posted by Jurjen Dijkstra on 16-Oct-2013 06:59

Thanks for the detailed answer! I am afraid this will change our planning: wait for the December release.

Thanks, Jurjen.

Posted by Mike Ormerod on 18-Oct-2013 07:49

Hi Jurgen

This paper should get posted in the next day or so.  I'll update the thread with the link once it's posted.

Thanks

Mike

Posted by Bill Wood on 18-Oct-2013 08:22

The White Paper: Accessing the OpenEdge AppsServer from Rollbase using Object Script, has been posted (Oct 18)

see: community.progress.com/community_groups/rollbase/m/documents/1160.aspx

Posted by Bill Wood on 23-Jan-2014 11:08

Note that the above whitepaper shows how to call the AppServer using JSON and the rbv_api.sendJSONRequest() method in Rollbase.

If you are 'on-premise' and want to call the AppServer from Rollbase using OpenClient APIs, then there is a second whitepaper, "Calling ABL Business Logic from Rollbase via OpenClient" at:

community.progress.com/community_groups/rollbase/m/documents/1124.aspx

This thread is closed