Difference between Reference Object and related object

Posted by ashkumar on 10-Oct-2013 12:41

Please help me understand rollbase field with type reference record and related field Both results to lookup fields

Can please give some example.

Reference Record

User can select referenced object record (often parent record) which belongs to one of several pre-selected Object types

Related Field

Value of a field from a related object

Posted by cprak on 11-Oct-2013 14:43

Hello Ashkumar,

Here is a quick explanation of the two field types, I will use Object A, Object B, and Object C as examples:

Reference Record - A field of type reference record is pretty much a container which holds the selected record's ID. With this ID, I BELIEVE the fields of the object could be accessed. Note that Cardinality between these two objects IS NOT REQUIRED. An Object A record could reference the Object C record without any relation. In a different sense, this field could be seen as a pointer to an object, the ID being the object's address.

Related Field - A related field is a single field of an object record which is retrieved from another record. Unlike a reference record, there MUST be a Cardinality. This field could simply be used to display data, or an option could be selected by the field for write permissions. For instance, an Object A record could have a related field which is retrieved from an Object B record in which it has a relationship with.

Depending on permissions, Object A could edit this related record field, effectively modifying the field from the Object B record in which the value is being retrieved from, otherwise this field could simply be used for read purposes. In yet another different sense, these two fields indicate a pass by reference copy, where the related field is a pointer to it's source, a field in an Object B record.

I hope this was helpful! Please respond with any other question you may have.

Thanks,

Corey Prak

All Replies

Posted by cprak on 11-Oct-2013 14:43

Hello Ashkumar,

Here is a quick explanation of the two field types, I will use Object A, Object B, and Object C as examples:

Reference Record - A field of type reference record is pretty much a container which holds the selected record's ID. With this ID, I BELIEVE the fields of the object could be accessed. Note that Cardinality between these two objects IS NOT REQUIRED. An Object A record could reference the Object C record without any relation. In a different sense, this field could be seen as a pointer to an object, the ID being the object's address.

Related Field - A related field is a single field of an object record which is retrieved from another record. Unlike a reference record, there MUST be a Cardinality. This field could simply be used to display data, or an option could be selected by the field for write permissions. For instance, an Object A record could have a related field which is retrieved from an Object B record in which it has a relationship with.

Depending on permissions, Object A could edit this related record field, effectively modifying the field from the Object B record in which the value is being retrieved from, otherwise this field could simply be used for read purposes. In yet another different sense, these two fields indicate a pass by reference copy, where the related field is a pointer to it's source, a field in an Object B record.

I hope this was helpful! Please respond with any other question you may have.

Thanks,

Corey Prak

This thread is closed