Custom charts with FusionCharts?

Posted by Rollbase User on 10-Sep-2013 14:47

Is it possible to create a custom FusionCharts-based chart? ie, in embedded JavaScript in a page, by querying for data and then passing that data to FusionCharts. What do I need to do to pass the data to FusionCharts?

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 10-Sep-2013 15:54

Hello Nathan,

Rollbases actually uses Fusion Charts to render flash-based charts. Please refer to the bottom of page 480 of our official documentation Rollbase in Action for more information. In case you were also wondering about Rollbase Portals, navigate to page 298.

Additionally, more information regarding integration between Rollbase and SOAP, REST, RSS, and JDBC can be found on page 350 of said document. I hope this helps! Please let me know if there is anything else I could assist you with.

Thanks,

Corey Prak

Posted by Admin on 10-Sep-2013 18:58

Thanks for that, Corey. That's actually why I'm thinking of using FusionCharts for my custom charts. Since all the standard Rollbase charts are done with FusionCharts, if I can also use FusionCharts for my custom charts, that I create with custom JavaScript, then my custom charts will have a look-and-feel consistent with the standard Rollbase charts.

Is it possible to do this? Is FusionCharts available to custom JavaScript that I put into a page? How can I access FusionCharts from within custom JavaScript?

I've looked through the docs, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of this, either that it's possible or that it's impossible.

Thanks - Nathan

Posted by Admin on 11-Sep-2013 09:06

Hello Nathan,

If you'd like to utilize a FusionChart in a custom Portal page, I believe you could create the chart in Rollbase and place it in a View. Then, from the Portal page, it'd be possible to display this view which contains the chart. As you had mentioned, I did not find any Rollbase API or other resource which could dynamically create a FusionChart.

In any case, I have referred this inquiry to my colleagues for a more recommended process. Please let me know if you'd like me to elaborate on any information pertaining to the doc, or of the process I had mentioned above.

Thanks

Corey Prak

Posted by Admin on 11-Sep-2013 14:50

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing back. I'm trying to create charts that the standard Rollbase charts will not do, so the standard Rollbase charts don't work for me here.

Also see this past question, where Pavel seems to say it's possible by creating an HTML template. But the thread doesn't mention how to go about doing it:

https://getsatisfaction.com/rollbase/topics/is_it_possible_to_add_additional_google_charts_fusion_charts

Posted by Admin on 13-Sep-2013 13:47

Hello Nathan,

I've received an answer from Pavel. He reiterated his answer from the previous topic you had provided a link to, Rollbase actually prepares the related data and calls for a Fusionchart to be created with said data as an argument.

If you'd like to represent any information with a Fusionchart that isn't included as a default, it is then your responsibility to organize the data from your application (Rollbase API) and make calls to create a Fusionchart and represent the data accordingly.

In order to make calls for Fusioncharts, I'm assuming that it'd be possible to use their Javascript API: http://docs.fusioncharts.com/charts/contents/JavaScript/API/Overview.html
I hope this helps, please let me know if you'd like assistance with any other questions.

Thanks,

Corey Prak

Posted by Admin on 13-Sep-2013 14:21

Thanks for looking into that Corey. That seems perfect. I will have a look at the FusionCharts docs!

Regards,

Nathan

Posted by Admin on 13-Sep-2013 14:24

Hello Nathan,

you're very welcome, I appreciate the quick reply. If that doc isn't helpful, a quick google should point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Thank You,

Corey Prak

Posted by Thierry Ciot on 05-Apr-2017 14:52

We have written a blog on how to do just that: www.progress.com/.../creating-rollbase-dashboards-with-custom-fusioncharts

Thierry

This thread is closed