NullPointerException when implementing custom jsp page.

Posted by Rollbase User on 09-Aug-2013 14:22

I receive a java.lang.NullPointerException exception when trying to implement a custom jsp page. I am trying to implement the custom jsp page example. I have the sample jsp page on a tomcat server: :9080, and Rollbase running on :8080. Then I have the custom jsp url referenced from a Web tab in Rollbase (with Link URL as http://:9080/web/Test.jsp?sessionId={!#SESSION_ID} ). Am I missing something? How does the custom jsp page know what the session id is of the logged in user, or how does it know that Rollbase is on port 8080? java.lang.NullPointerException com.rb.util.core.Language.getLanguage(Language.java:74) com.rb.util.core.Language.getDefault(Language.java:117) p15.a243.getMessage(a243.java:69)

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 10-Aug-2013 18:34

Help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Admin on 13-Aug-2013 09:43

Any thoughts? I would like to test the functionality of the custom jsp pages, but cannot get past this error.

Posted by Admin on 13-Aug-2013 10:15

Hello Bob,

I apologize for the late reply and have referred this question to my colleagues whilst researching myself, as my knowledge of JSPs are very limited. I will be sure to reply with any developments.

Thanks,

Corey Prak

Posted by Admin on 16-Aug-2013 15:01

Following up on this item. Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted by Admin on 17-Aug-2013 09:26

Hi Bob,

I am another RollBase customer, and I have added custom .jsp files before. I think you want to add the custom file inside a RollBase webapp folder, so that it shares access to session information, cache, and application state. For example, if you want a custom page that makes use of data in a customer, you could add it to the /prod1/ folder and reference it there.

I'm a little curious how you have Tomcat running on a separate port from RollBase. Is this custom .jsp in an entirely different Tomcat install? Or do you have multiple connectors? If you're going to use a separate webapp for your custom page, it is going to make it difficult to access RollBase infrastructure and data from your custom page.

Posted by Admin on 17-Aug-2013 19:29

Kurt,

Thank you for the tip. I was able to get the example custom jsp page to work when embedded in Rollbase as a tab, and pointing it to http://:8080/master/Test.jsp?sessionId={!#SESSION_ID}

(I was not able to get it to work when I put it in prod1; not sure why).

My mistake was initially putting it in Apache running on the other port. I did that because I was coding the jsp page in Eclipse, and had a debug instance of the Apache Server, which was set to use 9080, instead of 8080. I guess I was confused when the docs said to include a reference to rb_core, so I thought I could start up a new Eclipse jsp project, add reference there, then run.

Thanks for your help. Now I can move forward. By the way, do you know if there is documentation on what functions are available from here. Is it the entire rb_core internal api (not the javascript-->Rhino api that is available from the user interface), or is it just what is in CustomUIUtil (like CustomUIUtil.getUser)? If so, where is the doc for

This thread is closed