Dynamic data entry user interface

Posted by Rollbase User on 11-Aug-2013 06:25

For a project we want to implement an MDM system for products. The customer sells thousands of unique products. That means that the product owner will be able to define generic attributes (eg. height, weight, price etc). Per product type he can 'link' multiple attributes. The end user is then presented a dynamic user interface per product (to add and maintain the product). The product has just a couple of basic attributes (like id and type), all other attributes are dynamically added.The atrribute definition can be retrieved from the database using some business logic, or by implementing a BRMS (e.g. Progress Corticon). The end user fills values for the different attributes. Those values can differ over time (e.g. the price will change over time and can even be defined in the future). Has anyone done something similar with Rollbase? One could define a complex database schema to store all the product/attribute defintions or use a BRMS to 'calculate' the definitions and then have a generic end-user UI be 'ren

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 12-Aug-2013 10:24

From what I know of Rollbase there is not a good solution to this. But I am interested to hear what you find out. I am interested in using Rollbase in a healthcare setting, which faces the same need for dynamic UI according to patient diagnosis.

Posted by Admin on 13-Aug-2013 13:53

Hi Roland,

A simple solution to this in Rollbase would be to:

1. Create your Product object with its basic attributes like ID and Type fields (Note that an ID field is automatically created for you whenever you create an object).

2. Create another object called "Attribute". This object should have fields for "Name" and "Value. I would suggest using the default "Record Name" field for this which is created automatically when you create an object. For value I would use a regular text field so you can accept any kind of value and format it as needed behind the scenes.

3. Create a 1-many relationship between Product and Attribute (on product can have any number of attributes)

4. In your Product object's "New" and "Edit" pages you can add a Grid Component to allow dynamic addition/editing of related attributes

5. In your Product object's "View" page you can display a related list of attributes and/or use a custom Script component on the page, or a Template field, to custom render the list of related attr

Posted by Admin on 15-Aug-2013 09:55

Hi Matt,

thx for your answer. Seems like a good starting point.

I've sent you some more background info on the customer's requirements.

This thread is closed