Error: "No 'commParent' value provided, so Comm

Posted by Rollbase User on 02-Aug-2013 12:22

When I try to create new Communication Log and save, I get the following message: "No 'commParent' value provided, so Communication Log record cannot be attached to parent record". I'm a newbie here so it's probably something I've done... any help would be appreciated... Thanks!

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 09-Aug-2013 09:04

Hello Dave,

please let me know if you're still experiencing the issue and would like my assistance.

If possible, please provide steps that should be taken to reproduce the error. In creating and saving a communication log, the steps that I took are as follows:

- In a dummy/sample application, created an Object with the Contact attribute. Recall that one "unseen" process in checking this attribute creates a relationship between the new object and the "Communication Log" object.

- Create a dummy record of the specific object in our example and viewed the record page. This should also display a View for Communication logs which are related to the object.

- Within the "Communication Log" View of a record Page, click the button to create a new Communication Log, and save.

- Upon saving, Rollbase should refresh the record Page, and the "Communication Log" View should reflect the new "Communication Log" that was created.

Following these steps, I was successfully able to create two "C

Posted by Admin on 09-Aug-2013 12:15

Thanks for the reply Corey.

In your steps you mention "created an Object with the Contact attribute. Recall that one "unseen" process in checking this attribute creates a relationship between the new object and the "Communication Log" object. "

The Comm Log is just another object- meaning that it can be related to any other Object in the typical method of creating relationships (with out using any build-in attribute functions such as the Contact attribute)... is this correct?

Posted by Admin on 09-Aug-2013 12:59

Hello Dave,

you're very welcome, thank you for the quick reply. You are correct, in creating a new relationship for an object, a "Communication Log" object is available as a selection; it is also shown as an object under the Setup > Objects Page.

While modification of the "Communication Log" object's default data is forbidden, new fields, triggers, etc. could be added to better adapt to your application needs.

Please let me know if there's anything else I could help you with. If you are still receiving an error in creating a "Communication Log" record, feel free to reply with any information you'd like me to consider.

Thanks again,

Corey Prak

Posted by Admin on 09-Aug-2013 13:11

"modification of default data is forbidden"... what about adding values to the 'Type' picklist, is that allowed?

Posted by Admin on 09-Aug-2013 13:39

Hello Dave,

I apologize! By modification I mean deleting. The Field Label 'Type' could definitely be modified to add values. Upon further inspection, I notice that there is one field, Field Label 'From', which is created by default and removable. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll be more careful in pointing out possibilities and answering similar questions in the future.

Corey Prak

This thread is closed