Trying to understand object type 'record name'

Posted by Rollbase User on 28-Jul-2013 09:44

Coming from a Progress database background if I give a table a name it stays just as the name of the table. I will use an example from a farming application. The table is 'croplocation' and relates to an area of a field on a farm where a crop may be planted. This has become an object in Rollbase called "Crop Location". But additionally I now have a field within that object called "Crop Location" with a data type of 'Record Name'. I have been experimenting with a few small applications and am still not sure what would go in this field. In this particular example in my Progress database I would declare a primary unique index comprising 3 fields. croplocation.company croplocation.cropyear croplocation.locationnumber So in order to identify any crop location uniquely I need a combination of the company field, the crop year (e.g. this year 2013) and a number taken from the drawing of the whole farm. The Rollbase field "Crop Location" appears in a lot of places but I am still not sure how to treat

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 29-Jul-2013 09:27

Hello Mr. Walsh,

as you had mentioned, by default, there is a Field of data type 'Record Name' which has a 'Field Label' value of its Object name. This Field's type cannot be changed, nor can it be deleted.

From what I understand, there are a total of four Fields of the 'Crop Location' object which could best identify a certain record:

'company'

'crop year'

'location Number'

'Crop Location'

In addition to these Fields, Rollbase provides every Object and Record with its own unique ID for easy identification.

Getting back to these four Fields, it seems that you're confused on how to treat this extra default 'Crop Location' Field. A formal definition of the 'Record Name' data type can be found on page 146 of our official Rollbase guide, Rollbase in Action, "Record Name Template".

For a quicker reference, the guide describes it as,

"... Every Object record in Rollbase has a special field labeled "Record Name," w

Posted by Admin on 29-Jul-2013 10:24

Hello Corey

Thanks - as usual. I think you have understood fine.

I need to think it over for a while. The ID looks like the equivalent of 'recid' in the Openedge database. I generally don't use it as it doesn't have much meaning for an end user.

I'm used to creating multiple indexes (just sometimes) on a table..... and probably don't need to do so anymore......... originally often for performance reasons.

I'll look over your reply a few times plus the manual.

Regards

Richard

(...... I presented the initial demo to the Care Home IT Manager last Friday and it went down well. He is arranging for us both to show it to senior management in the next couple of weeks.

I have a small Rollbase presentation today to a large farm and one to a cheese producer on Wednesday)

Posted by Admin on 29-Jul-2013 10:37

Hello Mr. Walsh,

thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad that my explanation was helpful, especially so with the initial demo's positive reception.

Please do let me know if you'd like my assistance with the other planned presentations. I'd be more than happy to answer any question, and even provide quick sample applications to expedite your progress.

Thanks,

Corey Prak

Posted by Admin on 29-Jul-2013 11:11

I'm OK this week as I'm keeping it super-simple.

But if the Care Home give me a date for a presentation to the senior managers your kind offer may be very helpful !

Thanks

Richard

This thread is closed