How can I clone an object?

Posted by Rollbase User on 07-May-2011 02:44

How can I clone (duplicate) an object along with its fields, triggers, views, and others?

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 07-May-2011 10:49

Sorry but we do not provide such functionality and do not have plans for this.

Posted by Admin on 09-Jan-2013 16:42

I need a new object that is similar to an existing object. The ability to clone objects like we can clone Views would save some time.

That last update on this was a year ago, so just checking into to see if there are any changes to the plan?

Posted by Admin on 09-Jan-2013 19:40

We'll re-evaluate this idea.

Posted by Admin on 13-Feb-2013 18:31

Hi Pavel -- I find myself needing to clone a base User object into four role variations today (ex. Project Mgr, Service Owner, Exec Sponsor).

I tried to just make relationships to one base User object, but that complicates the application for users, especially when they want to for example, look at an Exec Sponsor and see all the Projects they sponsor.

Making clones is not ideal, because I also must write triggers that copy data from the base User object, but it does simplify the UX considerably for users.

I also have had several app teams which need only slight variations on an object with many many fields. Cloning an object would speed up development there too.

Another solution that might work - methods tocreate objects/fields via the REST API. I could essentially clone my objects with scripts. That actually would be great... I could write a tool that asks users some questions, and then builds a complete RB app for them.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts as the expert on the pro/c

Posted by Admin on 13-Feb-2013 19:29

Tim,

next release 3.9.5 (due on Feb 16) will include ability to clone existing object under a new name. I'm doing final testing of this functionality.

As for REST API, we currently have "install" and "installById" API. Did you try to use these API?

Thanks,

Pavel

Posted by Admin on 14-Feb-2013 08:09

That's great news, Pavel!

RE: "installById" -- I searched the PDFs and see "install" and "installByAppId" but those are for an entire pre-existing application, yes?

I was thinking about an API for creating a new object to add to an existing application. And just thinking out loud, with that feature, I imagine we could go a step further to automate building entire applications. "Meta Meta" as they say. ;-)

I'm off for the weekend for a 24 hour mountain bike race in Tucson, but when I return, the first thing I'll do is upgrade to 3.9.5 - it will be a nice present. :-)

-Tim

This thread is closed