Migrating data from hosted to Private Cloud

Posted by Rollbase User on 04-Feb-2012 01:31

I am having issues migrating data from the hosted environment to our private cloud environment. The private cloud env works fine, been working fine for a month or so. However, I can't get the data migrated to appear. This is what I've done: 1. PErformed a backup on the hosted env. 2. Downloaded the backup file to the private cloud server 3. Placed the backup file in the backup directory of the id whose zone I want to restore it to (tomcat6/storage/12218/backup) 4. Restored the file. This didn't work as the server is an ubuntu server and the path separator is incorrect in the zip - or the zip routine you use, so the zip extracted without directories - ie individual files under storage/12218. 5. I manually unzipped the zip into storage/12218 then created a dummy mostly empty backup file and placed it into tomcat6/storage/12218/backup so I could initiate the restore without overwriting the data 6. I selected Restore on the dummy backup, this populated the mysql database tables correctly. I can go into my

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 04-Feb-2012 06:11

Somewhat sheepishly - reindexing helps. More Actions on the Customer record.

Having got there in the end, a couple of things to be wary of when migrating customer zones to a different host, particularly a different OS:

- backup zip files are not cross compatible for directory separators

- as a result of the above, uploaded files are a problem and, at a guess either directory files in tomcat6/storage/xxxxxx/data need special attention (but only the ones from the backup as new ones work fine) or the db records need updating for the local OS directory separator

- if you use the above (in first post) work around for the backup don't forget to set permissions on the extracted files so tomcat can read and write to directory

Hopefully this might help someone else out there :)

Oh, one other thing: I can't remember if the manual says this but you need http enabled on your private cloud as well as https.

Of course, there might well be something I've missed in the config...

Posted by Admin on 04-Feb-2012 12:27

I will add setting for separator symbol to backup config.

What else would be helpful?

Posted by Admin on 04-Feb-2012 14:56

I've added code to automatically apply correct separator when unzipping archive - please try it now with fresh binaries.

Posted by Admin on 04-Feb-2012 20:15

Thanks Pavel. Much appreciated! The only other thing I can think of is a few additions to the manual to briefly explain how to restore a backup on a squeaky clean Rollbase install. I had to create the Customer Zone, go to System Backup from the zone More Actions menu, this created the backup directory in storage (I guess this could easily be created by hand) and then place the backup file in there. It then appears in the list able to be restored. Simple when you know how :). Also, a reminder to reindex once restored. Thanks again for working on the weekend :)

Posted by Admin on 06-Feb-2012 11:19

Thanks, Phil. I'll try to simplify migration process as much as possible.

This thread is closed