Rollbase IE Default Document Mode Layout Issue

Posted by Rollbase User on 17-Nov-2011 04:39

Good Day Sir! When logging into Rollbase using IE9, the Page's default document mode is automatically set to Quirks mode.This results to the page being rendered using IE5 standards. Is there a way for Rollbase to default the Document Mode for IE9 to IE9 standard instead? We did not encounter this issue in IE7 and IE8.  Currently, we taught our users to manually change their Browser's Document Mode to IE7. Best Regards, Gutchi Gutierrez Rollbase PH

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 20-Nov-2011 17:53

Bump.

Hope you can reply your thought re this matter.

Pisoso Martin

Rollbase PH

Posted by Admin on 22-Nov-2011 16:37

Hi,

Can anyone reply on this topic?

We are currently having problems with the display of Rollbase for our IE9 clients.

fyi, It also makes it harder for the developers and designers to adhere to Quirks Mode (renders as IE5 standards). Could we kindly change the default Document Mode to whatever browser version the client is using? ^_^

IE9 browser >> IE9 Standards

IEx browser >> IEx Standards

Moz browser >> Moz Standards

Webkit browser >> Webkit standards

and so forth...

Thanks ^_^ - Will be waiting for your replies.

Piscoso Martin

Rollbase PH

Posted by Admin on 24-Nov-2011 21:05

Hi all,

Could we kindly follow up on this? I believe I speak for everyone who places custom css on their apps that it's kinda hard to comply with IE5 (quirks mode) standards. Although, doable, this is still not efficient since IE7 should be the lowest tested version of IE (since IE6 was officially deprecated), hope you guys can shed some light on this.

Thank you very much ^_^

Piscoso Martin

Rollbase PH

Posted by Admin on 27-Nov-2011 17:46

Updates please? :l

Posted by Admin on 30-Nov-2011 13:55

Hi Martin,

Do you have a suggestion for how we can address this via changes to the page header? If so we will give it a try. I am not sure exactly what change you are requesting as it pertains to document headers

Thanks,

Matt

Posted by Admin on 01-Dec-2011 22:23

Hi,

I noticed that you are not using !DOCTYPE in your document headers in the Rollbase native application (non-portal).

Here is a snippet from one of our zones:

This automatically renders the page in IE5 mode (quirks mode) in IE9.

What we can try is adding a !DOCTYPE to our document header

Here is a sample. (you can read more here >> http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_doctype.asp)

Posted by Admin on 04-Dec-2011 23:41

Bump.

Posted by Admin on 05-Dec-2011 12:40

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the suggestion, I am planning to add this hopefully before this weekend's update and we'll take it from there.

Regards,

Matt

Posted by Admin on 05-Dec-2011 16:57

Thanks Matt, this will solve a lot of layout issues regarding IE since they keep on using the Doc Mode Quirks Mode (IE 5 rendering).

Thank you very much

Piscoso Martin ^_^

Rollbase PH

Posted by Admin on 05-Dec-2011 21:21

This is now in and scheduled for the next update, most likely this Friday or Saturday

Thanks,

Matt

Posted by Admin on 06-Dec-2011 11:48

Hi Martin,

After some testing this is causing JavaScript problems in the app so we need to do more work before releasing this header change. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Matt

Posted by Admin on 06-Dec-2011 17:58

Hi Matt,

We use this header for our portals and we don't usually run into problems.

Maybe you can try other doctypes from the link I provided which might be a better choice for Rollbase. Atleast a doctype be it simple, but not simply . ^_^

sorry for imposing but since around 80% of users use IE this might pose a problem not just for Rollbase PH but also for your other customers as well.

Thank you very much,

Piscoso Martin

Rollbase PH

Posted by Admin on 06-Dec-2011 18:15

Hi Martin,

I agree, we are going to figure this out in the very short term and appreciate your help. Will let you know as soon as I've made progress -- should be soon

Thanks,

Matt

Posted by Admin on 06-Dec-2011 18:21

Thanks for the quick reply Matt! =)

Piscoso Martin

Rollbase PH

Posted by Admin on 11-Dec-2011 21:00

Hi again all,

Have you tried simply adding

before your html tag?

This should probably have the least impact on any functionality in the system, hopefully ^_^

Thank you very much,

Piscoso Martin

Rollbase PH

Posted by Admin on 12-Dec-2011 17:51

Hi,

Just following this one up since we already have the ability to append CSS stylesheets to our apps.

The missing doctype tag will definitely generate issues for IE users, for FF and chrome not so much, but having it will make CSS fabrication a lot easier to be IE compliant ^_^

Hope you understand,

Piscoso Martin

Rollbase PH

Posted by Admin on 13-Dec-2011 18:25

*Bump

Posted by Admin on 14-Dec-2011 22:38

Hi again all,

Have you tried simply adding

before your html tag?

This should probably have the least impact on any functionality in the system, hopefully ^_^

Thank you very much,

Piscoso Martin

Rollbase PH

Posted by Admin on 14-Dec-2011 22:55

Hi Martin,

Yes I tried this and unfortunately the simple change of adding "!DOCTYPE" to the html tag causes some Rollbase JavaScript to stop working correctly. I am looking into this and hope to have a solution soon.

Thanks,

Matt

Posted by Admin on 15-Dec-2011 00:13

Thanks for the speedy reply, hopefully we can get this up an running with the advent of attachable css files =)

Posted by Admin on 08-Jan-2012 11:59

This has now been fixed. All Rollbase pages now have the !DOCTYPE html tag.

Notes from Pavel:

Please note that CSS on pages with DOCTYPE is more strict. Example:

xxx.style.height=16;

will work without DOCTYPE but with DOCTYPE must be replaced with correct version:

xxx.style.height='16px';

So if you've followed correct CSS syntax there will be no change to your apps, otherwise some adjustments will be needed.

Posted by Admin on 08-Jan-2012 12:01

I should clarify that as of Jan 7th this was fixed in Rollbase.com production. You will need latest binaries for Private Cloud instances.

Posted by Admin on 08-Jan-2012 12:04

Thank you again guys!

@Pavel and @Matt

More power to Rollbase!

The platform is definitely getting EVEN better and better every week! ^_^

Luckily, we use WC3 compliant CSS files so we always indicate the parameters needed for our designs ^_^

px, in, em etc.

Woohoo! hehe ^_^

Piscoso Martin

Rollbase PH

This thread is closed