Java throws Exception when starting Rollbase Master and Prod

Posted by Rollbase User on 16-Nov-2011 06:14

When starting tomcat I get a SEVERE exception for both Master and Prod1 - NullPointerException at com.rb.util.core.a405.deleteTempFiles (a405.java:376). Any ideas what I have done wrong? I should add that this is a new install on Ubuntu. Using RB built on 4 Nov.

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 16-Nov-2011 15:26

I will take a look.

Please make sure that you have ROLLBASE_HOME environment variable set correctly.

ROLLBASE_HOME/config/shared.properties file must exist (path must be valid)

Posted by Admin on 16-Nov-2011 15:48

Thanks Pavel,

I've set ROLLBASE_HOME, with no change. The section of catalina.out relevant to prod1 and master reports:

==>> Production Server is starting

java.lang.NullPointerException....etc

==>> Master Server is starting

ROLLBASE_ROOT=/usr/share/tomcat6/rollbase

java.lang.NullPointerException....etc

And master/system/monitor.jsp reports:

ROLLBASE_ROOT: /usr/share/tomcat6/rollbase

Host Name : dev.myactivesuite.com

Build Date: 04/11/2011

License : Free Evaluation

=================================

And all components are DOWN

I'm sure its bound to be something simple, but can't think what.

Fil

Posted by Admin on 16-Nov-2011 15:51

Not sure if this is relevant, but on Ubuntu, the rollbase config goes in /usr/share/tomcat6 and the actual webapp war files in /var/lib/tomcat6/webapps. To get around errors with storage on other components I had to define the StorageDir property in the Storage Server component in components.xml

F

Posted by Admin on 16-Nov-2011 16:01

Also, just in case it is relevant, there are no records in the DB as yet (ie the initial user has not been created). I assume this is because master and prod1 are dying before master(??) gets a chance to check and create the user.

Posted by Admin on 16-Nov-2011 16:06

The system may need to create a bunch of sub-directories in ROLLBASE_HOME. That may include StorageDir (unless specified explicitly in components.xml)

Please make sure that permissions are granted to create sub-directories in ROLLBASE_HOME, as well as files (read, write, delete).

Posted by Admin on 16-Nov-2011 16:10

Bingo! That did it - added permissions for tomcat6 to rw to ROLLBASE_HOME. Thanks. I'll write up a little step by step install/setup on Ubuntu and post it.

Fil

Posted by Admin on 18-Nov-2011 20:54

Fil,

Many thanks for your willingness to write up and share your findings with Ubuntu

Regards,

Matt

This thread is closed