Multiple Record Types associated with Individual Record

Posted by Rollbase User on 03-Nov-2011 15:35

I am trying to create a record (lets say, Asset) which could be different types or classes of assets. For instance I could have a vehicle, boat, house, pet, whatever. Depending on what type of asset it is I may want the data captured about that asset to be different. Salesforce does this with record types. Does Rollbase handle this differently? Is there a mechanism for this? Thanks, Blaine

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 03-Nov-2011 18:38

Currently Rollbase does not provide relationships with arbitrary object type.

How do you envision this feature? And what do you expect out of it other than simple link to related object?

Posted by Admin on 03-Nov-2011 19:54

You are essentially defining multiple subtypes for a given record. The way Salesforce handles this is anytime you create a new object that object could have several subtypes. In my example of an asset object i would like to have the ability to define types of this object. This makes the object much more generic and agnostic to the types of calls made to it. Just more versatile. Now depending on the type of asset it is, when you add a new record you are first asked what type of record it is. Vehicle, Boat or House. Depending on what you pick you would then be presented with different fields to enter data into. Obviously houses would require much different types of data than a car would. When coding for an asset we could pass what type of record it is and paint the appropriate display.

Posted by Admin on 03-Nov-2011 21:23

Salesforce uses record types in Visualforce in a way sub-classing works in OOD.

Interesting idea, we should think what we can make out of it in Rollbase.

Actually if you define a broad object with full set of fields, than hide certain fields on UI pages using client-side API (as many customers do) you'll achieve the same result.

Posted by Admin on 21-Dec-2012 22:02

No one else needing this? The ability to use point and click and create different sub-types and have an associated view with each sub-type would be beneficial and increase the usability.

I have many examples.

Matt

Posted by grosener@dmsi.com on 14-Feb-2014 13:59

I certainly need this!  We have several Salesforce apps used for our internal systems that utilize multiple record types on each object for the same purposes as noted above.  

It is my understanding that one could implement logic to change the page id when loading a page, redirecting to the desired page layout.  I haven't been able to get my hands on an example of this.  Does anyone have example code they are willing to share?  

This thread is closed