20 Character Integration Name Limitation, Cache Issues

Posted by Rollbase User on 08-Jun-2010 18:08

Right now I'm spending the majority of my time programming PHP to push MySQL InnoDB data into Rollbase through the REST API. Almost every single object must be remapped in code due to Rollbases' 20 character integration name limit. This is severely debilitating as the MySQL InnoDB limitation for field names is 64 characters so I have to spend a lot of hours remapping the object field names by hand. Furthermore some field options such as "required" needs a way to be bypassed by the API when all I need to do is to populate data. It might be a required field in rollbase for any NEW data from the Application side of things but when I'm populating old data this needs to be flexible. When I disable the field's requirement I continue to get the same error which leads me to believe that the object's structure is being cached despite us editing it in the Rollbase CP.

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 08-Jun-2010 20:21

1. Integration names are used in templates and formulas, having too long integration name would make them unusable. If that's truly an issue we can discuss it later when (hopefully) you'll become a paying customer.
2. "Required" attribute can be set on field level or on page level. I suggest you do the later to avoid API problems.

Posted by Admin on 09-Jun-2010 11:32

It looks like you've chosen a rather unusual way to import data into Rollbase. Most of our customers use spreadsheet imports. This way you'd use our UI to map columns to existing fields. It is proven way to import 100 thousands of records.

Posted by Admin on 09-Jun-2010 17:20

The data has to be constantly reimported as new data comes in. Noe one wants to do this manually with exporting from MySQL to excel, remapping the fields every single time. They just wanna run a script. That's what I'm trying to setup. The issues I'm bringing up are simply some things I have seen coding which others might encounter. I'm not really a manager of this project and have about zero influence on whether or not the company where I work will purchase your software. That being said I'm not trying to rock the boat or anything.

I just have a lot of data with predefined fields already and for each one of those fields I have to use special integration names where sometimes it doesn't make sense because the field keys are 20 characters where I have fields that might not necessarily be 64 characters like MySQL supports but might simply be 25 or 30 characters.

Also there's caching on the integration names for the API which means that when I edit the structure of the object I can't immediately test my code.

Posted by Admin on 09-Jun-2010 17:47

I was talking about initial data transfer from system to system. For integration you need API, no question about it.

However haveing conversion map may be helpful. We have "bulkUpload" REST API which works the same way as spreadsheet upload. You need to supply Import Map ID and dump CSV content in POST request. Please try, this may be more convenient than "create" API.

This thread is closed