Auto-generation of CSV file for use of another system

Posted by Rollbase User on 02-Feb-2010 21:06

I have to create a feature where in the certain records needed to be put in a CSV file and then the CSV file is sent to another system for processing. This should be done periodically and programmatically. In the same manner, there should be a feature for Rollbase to accept CSV files programmatically and process the file's contents. How will this be done in Rollbase?

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 02-Feb-2010 22:07

The first part is doable: create Batch Job which will periodically generate and email a template-based report.

We currently do not accept files programmatically. However this can be done as software enhancement. What protocol you have in mind for such uploads/downloads? Can you write a short requirements document?

Posted by Admin on 02-Feb-2010 22:43

Perhaps we can extend our REST API and accept CSV files to create or update records the same way we do with "real" CSV files. Please take a look how CSV upload works now.

Posted by Admin on 03-Feb-2010 01:23

I'm more inclined to have a REST API that will accept CSV file. Is this easy to do?

Posted by Admin on 03-Feb-2010 11:31

Everything is easy with Rollbase, we're doing job with a smile...

I will put this on my plate and let you know as soon as its done. You'll need to prepare Data Map to convert your CSV import into new records.

Posted by Admin on 03-Feb-2010 19:01

Alright. Will do this now :)

Posted by Admin on 03-Feb-2010 21:29

BTW, batch jobs which will be sent via email is not the requirement. The requirements was that the CSV will be dumped to a location/folder

Posted by Admin on 04-Feb-2010 00:22

I don't know how remote file (essentially HTTP request) can be dumped into location/folder. Which local client will do the job? What are authentication/security issues?

Posted by Admin on 04-Feb-2010 04:10

Good point; i haven't actually thought of that. Anyhow, I'll check what's on our plate and will let you know ASAP. Thanks!

Posted by Admin on 04-Feb-2010 11:27

We can do FTP upload to remote server the same way we do System backup batch job.

Posted by Admin on 06-Feb-2010 12:37

I just deployed new REST API which allows uploading CSV file and works the same way as CSV import. Please check out updated documentation.

Posted by Admin on 07-Feb-2010 19:14

Thanks... I'll study how this should work and will give you feedback.

Posted by Admin on 07-Feb-2010 19:28

I tried the API and since there is no provision for CSV file, I was expecting an error. However, the error was Unknown API.

Posted by Admin on 07-Feb-2010 20:10

This API available for POST requests. Using browser you're making GET requests. That's why you're getting "Unknown API" message.

This thread is closed