LDAP and ESB process

Posted by Admin on 13-Feb-2008 11:41

What is the best way to perform lookup on LDAP with-in an ESB process?

When I looked into the documentation, I could find a Java example in Samples/Management directory for Jndi that could be altered to fetch info from LDAP.

Is writing a custom service the best way to invoke operations on LDAP? Any inputs regarding this is welcome.

Thanks,

--Subbu

All Replies

Posted by tsteinbo on 03-Mar-2008 12:47

Subbu,

you pretty much on the spot. The JNDI api with an LDAP provider is the way to go. There is no out-of-the-box ldap service available afaik.

Writing one is (at least for simple queries) straight forward.

What is your use case?

Thomas

Posted by Admin on 03-Mar-2008 12:53

Thanks Thomas.

Currently, my use case is only for looking up in LDAP.

I also received an idea about using DSML with Ldap Context from Sonic. I am exploring this too.

--Subbu

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 03-Mar-2008 12:58

Such an adapter would sound like a natural for a code share submission...

Posted by tsteinbo on 03-Mar-2008 13:05

Indeed...

LDAP though is a tricky beast. In the past I have written an LDAP integration for SonicMQ to serve as external authentication domain.

While doing so I learned a lot. In particular all the authentication mechanisms like simple bind, PLAIN, DIGEST MD% and CRAM, KERBEROS, SSL and TSL make it a nice challenge. The JNDI tutorial at the Sun site has a lot of good pointers but it does not cover all of the above.

One the other hand I have the base library doing all that at hand now so throwing together an esb service is not hard anymore...

So what exactly you after?

What is your target server?

What is the query you want to perform?

What is the ldap schema you run against?

Thomas

This thread is closed