Sonic (anyversion) and 24 x 7 operation

Posted by Admin on 22-Feb-2008 06:47

I have a question which has been put to the Sonic Software folks and the answer was not what I expected

Can Sonic ( especially MQ and ESB) support a 24 x 7 operation?

I am aware sonic has CA capability but what if I need to apply a patch or even better upgrade to a newer version of Sonic( 7.6 is going to be out soon). How do I proceed with this upgrade without effecting my clients.

Has anyone out there in the Sonic customer field come up with a situation like so and could you share your experiences.

Thank you

All Replies

Posted by rstanciu on 20-May-2008 06:38

Take a look to the atached image.

Using CAA you have 2 servers. We have 2 MQ brokers. Each replicated broker has a backup

broker crossover. We have a replicated DomanManager and replicated network.

When the JMS client is connected he takes the ConnectionFactory from JNDI repository, which

is a FaultTolerant connection. This means the JMS client can move his connection from one

server to another if the first server is down.

How it woks?

The server 1 is stoped for a migration issue .... OK. In this case the broker peer (which is in stand-by)

becomes primary broker. At this moment , no messages are loosted. The secondary domain manager

becomes primary and we can steel administred the domain. In the mean time, all JMS Clients connected

to the server 1 are balanced to server 2 ... all woks.

You finish the update of server 1, after that you restart server 1. Put the DomainService on line,

start the PrimaryBroker, the backup broker is not available at this momment.

Stop the server 2. At this momment the faut tolerant clients switch the connection to server 1.

All works.

Update teh server 2. Start the server 2 and recreate the backup brokers.

This thread is closed