Running a Progress Program

Posted by Admin on 06-Aug-2008 22:31

hi all,

Well, I have developed many processes and services using the given tools in the Sonic IW. I am interested to know if there is a way to run Progress Program as a Service.

Any help would be appreciable.

Thank you

All Replies

Posted by jtownsen on 07-Aug-2008 02:40

There certainly is and with 10.1C01 & Sonic 7.6, you can simply drag & drop a progress program.p onto an ESB process!

There was a great presentation about this at exchange: http://www.psdn.com/library/kbclick.jspa?externalID=5271 Further information can also be found in the documentation.

Let us know how you go.

Posted by Admin on 07-Aug-2008 11:51

Thank you so very much Jamie.

Excellent doc as far as my requirement is concerned.

Is there any way I could do the same with 10.1A?

I have an adapter for it so I guess this should also be possible, isn't it?

Posted by jtownsen on 08-Aug-2008 00:06

Not having had 10.1A installed on my machine for a looonnnnggggg time now, I can't tell you off the top of my head. (Perhaps someone else with 10.1A installed will chip in here??)

...but I believe that the 10.1A ProxyGen tool has a tab for Sonic ESB. Failing that, you can use ProxyGen to expose a program as a Web Service, which could be directly called from Sonic.

...and just for the record, it wouldn't be too hard to call a V9 program from Sonic ESB, by generating a Java proxy for it and then wrapping the Java proxy into a Custom ESB Service.

...but for me, 10.1C01's drag & drop is all the coding that I like to implement

Posted by Admin on 08-Aug-2008 03:51

Another problem,

I tried to run this simple code (from the presentation slide mentioned above) to connect to the SonicMQ broker in progress having done all the installation and configuration and initialization,

DEFINE VARIABLE ptpsession AS HANDLE.

RUN jms/ptpsession.p PERSISTENT SET ptpsession("-H localhost -S

5162 ").

RUN setBrokerURL IN ptpsession("tcp//machinename:2506").

RUN beginSession IN ptpsession.

When I ran I encountered this problem :

Connection refused by Application Server. (5467)

Error connecting to the JMS AppServer Service

I suspect it has something to do with the credentials required by the broker.

I tried to set these as the brokerURL (default credentials)

"tcp://Administrator:Administrator@machinename:2506"

"tcp://machinename:2506 -u user -p pass"

I don't know if this is the mistake, though.

Could anybody suggest where I am going wrong?

Posted by Admin on 08-Aug-2008 04:43

Hi there,

Ya I seemed to be right when I thought the credentials were causing the error.

I disabled the security in the broker and the program seemed to run well.

Nevertheless, the question of passing the credentials is still unanswered.

Posted by jtownsen on 08-Aug-2008 04:43

Not sure why the presentation above would do anything with SonicMQ - nothing like that is required with the OpenEdge Adapter for Sonic ESB...

In any case, you're probably right in it being an authentication issue. The code sample looks like a very old sample (which is still shipped with 10.1C). More up to date samples that use jms/jmssession.p, client-connect (instead of broker-connect), durable subscriptions, client-side persistence, etc can be found with the Exchange presentation that discusses all these things: http://www.psdn.com/library/entry.jspa?externalID=5279

Posted by jtownsen on 08-Aug-2008 04:46

The short answer is setUser/setPassword - can be found in the documentation - OpenEdge Development: Messaging and ESB

This thread is closed