Sonic and Virtualization

Posted by 240029 on 25-Oct-2008 15:28

Does Sonic products run on VMware type platforms, If so is it supported and/or certified. If not any idea are there any plans of moving towards supportability.

All Replies

Posted by jtownsen on 26-Oct-2008 09:26

Plans to support virtualized environments with Sonic 7.6.1 have been discussed, but since 7.6.1 has not yet shipped, this cannot be guaranteed. I would suggest that you discuss your particular needs with your local sales representative. They will no only be able to present your requirements to Sonic product management, but will also be able to keep you updated with current status.

Posted by aedwards on 27-Oct-2008 16:51

I have done significant testing within VMWare on Linux. I have not seen any issues to date. In my opinion you are fine to use Sonic within VMWare and should not experience any issues.

I am currently running 7.5.2 MQ & ESB.

Posted by nweddle on 28-Oct-2008 09:57

We have been running Sonic ESB 7.01 on VMWare and Windows 2003 Server in a well used development environment without any issues. Personally, I wouldn't have any reservations about using it in a Production environment.

Posted by Admin on 28-Oct-2008 10:06

I beg to differ with VMWare ESX running Sonic 7.5 on Windows. When we did load testing, there was a significant difference in performance between VM and hardware. I would think twice before putting in production environment.

--Subbu

Posted by aedwards on 28-Oct-2008 16:33

Although I do agree, I would most likely not run MQ on VMWare in a Production env. I currently only use VMWare for non-prod/perf.

Could you please explain your issues in more detail, I am curious what type of issues you encountered.

1) Are the physical specs that we're allocated to the VMWare guest machine identical to those of the Physical machine? (CPU, Mem)

2) Did you switch from Local Disk to SAN.

3) We're there other VM's running on the ESX server at the same time you did your performance testing?

4) Do you have any stats to report. Was it 5% slower or 200% slower. What type of tests did you run?

b) Was it CPU or Disk that was slow? or both

Posted by 240029 on 28-Oct-2008 23:13

We are in a planning stage on whether we should use sonic in a vmware installation. I have heard from many folks it is ok to use it in dev but not in prod. Sonic does not support it persa but they have PSO's that run it without issues. I just wanted to get a general idea and feedback. Also to add to this and to another topic about sonic's ability to use multiple cpu's ( no answer as yet from sonic tech or development team) the vmware idea came to mind.

This thread is closed