Sonic and Multiple CPU

Posted by 240029 on 11-Sep-2008 08:04

Is there a way I can make use of my multiple CPU server which is hosting Sonic. currently sonic is using only 1 cpu at an average load 2.31, 2.32, 2.37

All Replies

Posted by rstanciu on 15-Sep-2008 08:54

A java server uses multiple threads to do different operations, so the jvm should use multiple Cpu's.

Java does not decide on which CPU work is done - it maps each java-thread to a native thread

and the OS handles this.

Anyway on running Sonic the most important is to sizing the Memory see

-Xms - Xmx parametres and the quality of FileSystem, when sending PERSISTENT messages

and using Durable Subscriptions, because Sonic have to save messages.

The CPU is not very used , seens you dont do astronomical compute

Posted by 240029 on 15-Sep-2008 09:33

Thank you for the response Rares

The jvm that I am using is 1.5 as well as 1.4 ( for sonic 61). I dont see any threads putting much load on the cpu and I have over 10 brokers running.

Posted by 240029 on 25-Oct-2008 15:30

Since I have not heard anything with regard to getting sonic to use a multi CPU server I am assuming sonic runs on 1 CPU. If that is the case why is Sonic Software's prices for Sonic Products on a multi CPU pricing structure.

Any thoughts

Posted by jtownsen on 26-Oct-2008 09:17

Sonic will definitely run on (and take full advantage of) multiple CPU & cores. www.psdn.com is a community forum and a lot of great information is exchanged here, but it is not an official Progress Software technical support site.

I would suggest that you take this issue up with Technical Support and/or your local account representative.

Posted by 240029 on 28-Oct-2008 23:15

Sonic Tech Support has been working on this topic for the past 1 month. I posted the question to get a general idea if anyone has been able to configure sonic and use the multiple cpu on its host.

This thread is closed