Disappearing messages while testing in the Workbench

Posted by Admin on 25-Nov-2009 10:40

Hi,

I have just imported another developer's process into my domain and having got it compiled and loaded into a container thought I would run one of the scenarios he had written to test it. The ESB Process Tracking shows a PROCESS_ENTRY event and nothing else. The Output view shows Running... There are no messages on the reply, fault or RME endpoints. There is nothing in the Error Log, Problems, Container log or Domain log. I have tried putting a breakpoint on the first step but it doesn't get that far. I have used the Sonic Message Manager tool to put a message on the topic underlying the entry endpoint but get exactly the same results.

Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas where I could look for an error?

Thanks,

Colin.

All Replies

Posted by Bill Wood on 25-Nov-2009 12:05

The first thing I would do is replace the first step with a pass-through (dev.Prototype) service, and see if debugging gets to that.  Failing that, my next guess would be that whatever service you have as the first step is not running.  So check your containers and make sure all the containers are up and running.

If a service is not running, then it won't be listening on its entry endpoint.  If it is not listening, then the itinerary will still send it to the topic (or queue).  If it is a topic entry, then the message will simply be discarded, unless the subscription were durable.  In this case I would expect your behavior:

• PROCESS_ENTRY (because the dev.Run started the process)
  • No SERVICE_ENTRY (because the service is not running)
  • No RME/FAULT (because as far as the itinerary was concerned it sent the message and it is in the MQ layer)
  • No breakpoint was reached... because the breakpoint would be on the first service and unless it is running it won't get there.
  • Running... stays up (because the Workbench is waiting for the process to complete -- i.e. it won't time out as some processes really are very long running)

Posted by Admin on 26-Nov-2009 07:32

William,

Thanks for this answer. I found a service that I had not added to my container, once I had added it the process ran.

Colin.

This thread is closed