DataDirect jdbc driver for SQL Server 2008 in Sonic 7.0.1

Posted by bjorn_kroghrud on 22-Dec-2009 05:04

I am planning to create a custom java db service that connects to a SQL Server 2008 db.

The operations of the service are simple: Adding records and possbly some simple querying.

• The DataDirect jdbc driver that comes with Sonic 7.6, is there a runtime licence cost for that?
  • Could that driver be used under 7.0.1?
  • Does it support SQL Server 2008?

All Replies

Posted by Bill Wood on 22-Dec-2009 09:48

The JDBC drivers that ship with the Sonic Database Service cannot be used in custom code.  They are licensed by DataDirect only for use in the Sonic Database Service.  You can get your own drivers from DataDirect.

Posted by bjorn_kroghrud on 22-Dec-2009 10:30

Thanks William.

In the Sonic 7.0 environment I cannot see the Sonic Database Service, is that an additional component for that version?

Posted by Bill Wood on 22-Dec-2009 10:50

The Sonic Database Service is a separately orderable component.  It should be installed with Workbench, however.  (I apologize for my weak memory -- I forget the details of 7.0.x.   I am pretty sure that SQL Server 2008 would not be a supported database as this release was 2006).

Posted by bjorn_kroghrud on 22-Dec-2009 11:10

What I plan to do is to create a custom java service that uses jdbc to connect to a SQL Server 2008.

• Is that at all possible on Sonic 7.0 - given the fact that jre6 is not supported (or possible) and that the jdbc for SQL Server 2008 requires that jre version?
  • Do you know if it possible to use jdbc for SQL Server 2005 (I know, not the correct forum for this question)? It requires jre1.4 or newer and should work with Sonic 7.0.

Posted by Bill Wood on 22-Dec-2009 12:57

• Is that at all possible on Sonic 7.0 - given the fact that jre6 is not supported (or possible) and that the jdbc for SQL Server 2008 requires that jre version?

I would think this is possible.  When you say that JDBC for SQL Server 2008 requires JVM 1.6, I think you mean that there is a particular driver that requires this.  You should be able to find a driver that does work with Sonic 7.0.x.

Posted by bjorn_kroghrud on 22-Dec-2009 13:50

Yes, there is. I found jTDS - it looks promising.

Thanks for your input William!

This thread is closed