sonicmq - how to get a "total messages" per queue?

Posted by Admin on 20-Nov-2007 06:55

Hello,

I'm trying to find out, how to monitor a single SonicMQ queue. The most important for me is the total number of messages "processed since the very beginning" by the given queue. Broker has such a metric, but a queue has not (or least I didn't find anything like that).

It seems to be essential to the messaging product to have such a statistic, but for some reason SonicMQ (7.0 and 7.5) provide only "per Sec" and "currently in the queue" metrics.

thanks in advance,
maciej

All Replies

Posted by Bill Wood on 06-Feb-2010 09:42

mbarcz wrote:

...The most important for me is the total number of messages "processed since the very beginning" by the given queue. ...it seems essential to the messaging product to have such a statistic...

Can you explain more about this? and why it is essential.   The number is actually one that is hard to compute, especially with redeliveries, acknowledgeAndForward, and expiration (as well as administratively clearing the queue.   Keeping this number synchronized exactly would impact performance, and it is unclear what the intent was.

For example, if I told you that 200 messages were delivered to a queue, and that 200 messages were delivered to a client, it could still mean that messages were discarded, and that messages were still in the queue, depending on the items I mentioned above.

The number is 'interesting', but it would not be accurate.  It would also grow to a huge number over the years.

This thread is closed