Runtime Parameters in Service

Posted by Admin on 05-Mar-2009 22:04

Hi

Can anybody explain what is the purpose having run time parameters in services?

When it is usefull?

Thanks in advance

Waseem

All Replies

Posted by dmillman on 06-Mar-2009 07:09

Runtime parameters allow a single instance of a service to have different behaviour depending on the runtime execution of the service. For instance on the XML Transformation service there is a stylesheet parameter that allows a specific XSLT to be executed.

If there were only init parameters there would have to be an instance of the service deployed for each stylesheet to be executed, essentially this could lead to 100s of services being deployed. Using runtime parameters a single instance of the transformation service can be deployed that can manage each transformation based on the ESB Process that invokes the service with the appropriate runtime parameters.

Hope this helps

David

Posted by Admin on 09-Mar-2009 03:21

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply...

Cheers

Waseem

Posted by sedge on 07-Feb-2011 23:42

Is it possible to insert the contents of a Message Part into a runtime parameter?

I have a JST with a runtime parameter defined as a string. Sometimes I want to use a hard-coded value and sometimes I want to use the contents of a message part.

I could use two parameters and let the program do the work but it occurred to me that I might be able to do it with Request Mapping by mapping the message part to a value.

Is there an expression I can use in the value to insert a value directly into the runtime parameter for the call to the service?

Thanks

Steve

Posted by mnair on 07-Feb-2011 23:58

Hi Steve,

ESB 8.0.1 did not provide support for runtime parameters as EL expressions in message mapping. But we have added support for this in a patch on 8.0.1 for another customer. You should get in touch with Progress support to get details on obtaining the patch.

Thanks

-Mahesh

Posted by sedge on 08-Feb-2011 00:09

Thanks Mahesh

I might just forget the hotfix and wait for the next service pack or release, assuming it will be included. I've put in the hot fix for the Sonic Connect Dynamic URL and I'd hate to upset that one :-)

Regards

Steve

Posted by tsteinbo on 08-Feb-2011 01:58

Hotfixes are cummulative, e.g. you will get all fixes released to date.

In other words, you will not loose the dynamic url one.

Thomas

Posted by mnair on 08-Feb-2011 08:41

Hi Steve,

Nice to know that you put in the hot fix for the Sonic Connect dynamic URL feature. So the customer I was referring to earlier that got the runtime parameter related fix is you :-) We had to add support for this for enabling the Sonic Connect Dynamic URL feature.

You should use the following syntax in the custom EL expression in the mapping pages to read/write values for a runtime parameter:

${esbp.params['SomeRuntimeParam']}

In this case SomeRuntimeParam is the name of the runtime parameter.

Thanks

-Mahesh

This thread is closed