Domain / Directory Service Configuration Management

Posted by cwiseman on 30-Jun-2011 11:01

Is there a best practice for placing an entire Directory Service (Sonic Domain / Configuration) under configuration management?

All Replies

Posted by tsteinbo on 01-Jul-2011 07:24

Interesting question. Given that the DS itself is a configuration management system already albeit a Sonic specific one I wonder what CM system you referring to?

Posted by cwiseman on 01-Jul-2011 09:50

I want to be able to perform the equivalent of imaging my entire configuration of a Sonic Domain.  We put code under CM, documents, etc.  Why not our entire Sonic Domain and the folders that are required to place the Domain on a machine licensed for Sonic products if we have to completely migrate it rapidly or restore it?  That is the context of my question.

Is this perhaps a function or a capability of the Sonic Deployment Manager?  Thanks.

Posted by tsteinbo on 04-Jul-2011 02:20

Ah I see.

Yes, the Sonic Deployment Manager was developed to address this particular problem. You will be able to model your entire domain or parts of it. More importantly though, it allows for per-environment tailoring, thus, allows easy migration from development to test to production. The value is even greater the mor machines you have to provision for a given environment.

BTW, SDM is part of your SonicESB 8.x license. You still need to enter a separate licence key though.

Thomas

This thread is closed