Ct won't start - "externalNotificationSubscriptions

Posted by Admin on 01-Jul-2011 06:02

After scheduled maintenance we like to restart our container and get this message and the container won't start:

“(warning)  Exception while updating cached notification subscriptions for  dmWE.ctManagementbck:ID=AGENT MANAGER
java.lang.RuntimeException:  /_MFRuntime/dmWE.ctManagementbck/AGENT MANAGER/externalNotificationSubscriptions is too large - 11638026 bytes. Increase the MF  co
ntainer cache size from 10000000.
        at  com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.cache.impl.ContentCache.put(ContentCache.java:45)
        at  com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.cache.impl.ElementCache.storeAttributes(ElementCache.java:218)
        at  com.sonicsw.mf.common.config.impl.Element.cacheAttributes(Element.java:277)
        at  com.sonicsw.mf.common.config.impl.Element.cacheMe(Element.java:269)
        at  com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.cache.impl.ConfigCache.setElementInternal(ConfigCache.java:1219)
        at  com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.cache.impl.ConfigCache.setElementInternal(ConfigCache.java:1165)
        at  com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.cache.impl.ConfigCache.setElement(ConfigCache.java:1152)
        at  com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.RuntimeConfigurationManager.setRuntimeConfigurationInCache(RuntimeConfigurationManager.java:143)
        at  com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.RuntimeConfigurationManager.setRuntimeConfiguration(RuntimeConfigurationManager.java:124)
        at  com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl.setRuntimeConfigurationInCacheOnly(ContainerImpl.java:1997)
        at  com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl.deleteNotificationListenerSubscriptionsFromCache(ContainerImpl.java:694)
        at  com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl.expireSubscription(ContainerImpl.java:2681)
        at  com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl$NotificationListenerExpirer.run(ContainerImpl.java:5129)”

The message however turns out to be in the logs already for a few days - can it be that it didn't bring down the container, but prevents its start?
And why is this thing so large?
How can we start the container (in Production...)?
Thanks,
Erik

All Replies

Posted by pmeadows on 01-Jul-2011 06:57

This sounds like a known defect (SNC00077285) which caused externalNotificationSubscriptions to be leaked into the container's cache. I'd suggest you contact Sonic Technical Support. Make sure you include information about the version/build of SonicMQ you're running.

I imagine you should be able to get the container running again in the meantime by first removing the container's cache. (You may want to move/rename the cache directory rather than deleting it entirely in case it's useful for further analysis)

Posted by Admin on 01-Jul-2011 08:22

Thanks Paul,

I will file an issue with Support.

1 - Cannot find how to delete the cache (at least not in this community portal).

2 - Some have tried several times to start the container, and the environment is live too, and now we got in the container log:

[11/07/01 00:12:56] (severe) Both PRIMARY and BACKUP contain unreplicated modifications. One of them must be started with the start-active option, or, one of them could be deleted so it can be replicated from the other

I am looking for a manual for steps how to 'delete'.

Thanks and best regards,

Erik

Posted by pmeadows on 01-Jul-2011 08:46

1. Based on the exception in your original post it looks like the domain you're working with is 'dmWE', and the container you're having problems with is 'ctManagementbck'.  If so, then you're looking for a directory named either 'dmWE.ctManagementbck.cache' (Sonic 7.6), or '/Containers/dmWE.ctManagementbck/container.cache' (Sonic 8.0).  Delete (or rather move) this directory to allow a new cache to be created.

2. The DS storage referred to here is a directory named 'dmWE' (i.e. the name of the domain). The location of this direcory will again depend on which version of Sonic you're running and how it's configured. You should find the primary and backup management containers each point to their own instance of this directory. You can delete (or rather move) whichever version of the DS storage (i.e. primary or backup) you believe to be older.

If you're relatively unfamiliar with this, and given that it's a production system, you may want to have Tech Support walk you through it.

Hope this helps a little.

Posted by Admin on 04-Jul-2011 04:08

Thanks Paul,

Had a ticket created with Progress Sonic support and you are spot on for both issues. Deleted both cache and the other folder and container is fine now again.

Thanks.

Erik

This thread is closed