Host Manager not finding Remote containers

Posted by hmahey on 10-Aug-2011 12:12

I have 2 machines .

First one has SDM and Domain Manager running.

Second machine has Host Manager installed and up in running.

I do see my host manager up in my SMC but i dont see any of the remote containers running.

I had to physically either do one of the following.

1. Copy all the Containers/XXX folders from  machine1 to machine2 and start it manually.Which means i dont need Host Manager.

2. Goto Manage tab on SMC , click on the container that has Host Manager , right click on the Host Manager-->Operations-->setup Containers.This creates a folder on the remote machine which has lauchcontainer.sh .

I "heard" if we have Host Manager, i dont have to do any of the above 2 steps.

Any help would be great !

Thanks

Harsh

All Replies

Posted by davila on 10-Aug-2011 12:22

It depends on how you configured the other containers you're talking about. Did you use the SMC? Or the mgmt API? Configuration alone won't start the containers. Did you use SDM? SDM will start the containers on the remote hosts if you have specified true. But you also mention that the containers' directories are present on your local host where the domain manager is running. The remote Host Manager would not find them there either. The Host Manager will start the containers setup on its host, but something has to tell the Host Manager to start the containers. That "something" can be SDM, or a few clicks on the SMC, or a mgmt application.

Posted by tsteinbo on 11-Aug-2011 04:40

Also, if you indeed using SDM it would be helpful to post the model.

Posted by hmahey on 11-Aug-2011 06:00

Thanks Maria,

I missed adding tag .But when i did that they all get started on my machine 1 while the hostmanager on machine 2 keeps running alone.

MY MODEL.XML SNIPPETS

esbctBlah
      ESBContainer1
      esbctBlah
      true
      true
     esbctEscvBlahBak
    true

-------

brData2Bak
      BackupBroker2
      ctbrData2Bak
      true
      brData2
      kciprogtestsnc1

Repl002
            TCP
            kciprogtestsnc2
            kciprogtestsnc1

------

brData1
      Broker2
      ctbrData1
      true
      true
      3j20wnef6hAAAkc
      brokerqueues4
      clData
      kciprogtestsnc1

----------

On Machine 2 where host manager was insstalled i got these error on the host manager container logs

[11/08/10 22:53:19] (info) Management connection (re)established (Socket[addr=/10.11.3.99,port=4130,localport=55749])
[11/08/10 22:53:20] (warning) Failed to pass configuration change to component AGENT, trace follows...
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.Agent.setCentrallyLogMessages(Agent.java:2882)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.Agent.handleElementChange(Agent.java:1866)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.AbstractMBean.handleElementChange(AbstractMBean.java:384)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl.reportElement(ContainerImpl.java:4604)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl.cacheAndReportElements(ContainerImpl.java:4744)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl.updateConfigElements(ContainerImpl.java:3855)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl.reconcileCacheWithDS(ContainerImpl.java:4173)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl.reconcileCache(ContainerImpl.java:3913)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl.access$400(ContainerImpl.java:128)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl$1.run(ContainerImpl.java:396)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.TaskScheduler$ExecutionThread.run(TaskScheduler.java:499)

[11/08/10 22:54:02] (warning) Failed to pass configuration change to component AGENT, trace follows...
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.Agent.setCentrallyLogMessages(Agent.java:2882)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.Agent.handleElementChange(Agent.java:1866)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.AbstractMBean.handleElementChange(AbstractMBean.java:384)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl.reportElement(ContainerImpl.java:4604)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl.cacheAndReportElement(ContainerImpl.java:4648)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl.reportChangedElement(ContainerImpl.java:638)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.Agent.internalReceiveChangedElement(Agent.java:1372)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.Agent.receiveChangedElements(Agent.java:1366)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.AbstractMBean.internalInvoke(AbstractMBean.java:1337)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.AbstractMBean.internalInvoke(AbstractMBean.java:1248)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ComponentMBean.internalInvoke(ComponentMBean.java:687)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl$InternalRequestHandler.internalInvoke(ContainerImpl.java:5125)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.ContainerImpl$InternalRequestHandler.invoke(ContainerImpl.java:5160)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.JMSConnectorServer$RequestHandlerDelegate.onMessage(JMSConnectorServer.java:751)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.JMSConnectorServer$2.run(JMSConnectorServer.java:557)
        at com.sonicsw.mf.framework.agent.TaskScheduler$ExecutionThread.run(TaskScheduler.java:499)

You help / response is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Posted by davila on 12-Aug-2011 10:00

Is kciprogtestsnc1 your domain manager machine? Both the broker and the backup broker are defined on that host. I can't tell what host the ESb container is assigned to, from the fragment. The hosts used in the model must match the host of the host manager, either though the direct HostName reference or the use of LogicalHosts. What is the host of the host manager of your second machine? I also noticed that the replication connections of the brokers have one host for the primary address and a different host for the backup address; the hosts of your broker definitions should match what you have for the replication connection.What version Sonic are you using? I was going to look into the NullPointerException, though I don't think that's causign the host issue.

Posted by bdearborn on 12-Aug-2011 10:05

Hi,

I am currently out of the office on vacation with limited or no access

to vm or email. I will be returning to the office on August 15, 2011.

If you need immediate assistance please call my Jim Stein at

503-928-8112 or email him at jstein@cornerstar.com

Thanks,

Bryn Dearborn

503-805-8598

--

Bryn Dearborn

503-928-8115 (Work)

503-805-8598 (Cell)

Cornerstar

Posted by hmahey on 13-Aug-2011 21:52

It is kind of critical now for me to make this work.So what is  happening is that i have my domain manager on machine-1 (xxxprogtestsnc1) and the host manager is on my remote machine (xxxprogtestsnc2).
But for some reason my remote containers does not start even though my domain manager is up as well as my host manager is also up.
Other thing i realized that if i add true  to my Broker configuration in Model.xml , then it starts on machine-1 it self rather then on machine-2 and it doesnt need any host manager to be up on machine-2.
I know i MUST BE doing something wrong but if you see any known issues , is it ok to follow the approach to copy the remote container folders from machine-1 (xxxprogtestsnc1)  to machine 2 (xxxprogtestsnc2)  and start them manually and dont worry about host manager approach.

Posted by tsteinbo on 15-Aug-2011 03:08

You model snippet did not show any logical host tags, thus, everything will be bound to the machine you run your SDM on.

Do you have a Topology.xml? If so, does it have an environment for the two machines xxxprogtestsnc1 and xxxprogtestsnc2? What are the logical host names for them (suggestion would be domainmanager and messaging). Using the suggestion you should change you Model.xml and add the domainamanger to the DSHost tag and messaging to the Broker.

BTW, time critical stuff is best dealt with by our support organisation and not this community.

Thomas

This thread is closed