Creating a shared Sonic Management Console

Posted by dshorowitz on 07-Mar-2012 08:15

In an effort to standardize SMC usage across a moderately-sized group of people, I am looking to serve SMC via an RDP application from a single Win2008 server, rather than each user downloading a copy and configuring it themsleves.

I am trying to figure out where SMC stores the connection configurations.  From what I have gathered, it looks like something is being stored in C:\Users\<Username>\.smc_cache.  It looks like directories are being created for each connection I define.  I attempted to copy the .smc_cache directory to "C:\Users\All Users" to see if a test account would pick up the connections, but it didn't seem to work.  Also, when I removed the .smc_cache from my own directory, my SMC still seems to hold the connection configurations.

Does anybody know where else the connection definitions might be?  Has anybody been able to centralize connection configurations?

Thanks,

Dave

All Replies

Posted by pmeadows on 07-Mar-2012 09:01

The SMC uses the java.util.prefs functionality to store its connection information and other configuration data.  On Windows Java uses the Registry as the backing store - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs.

Posted by pmeadows on 07-Mar-2012 09:15

Note: in theory it should be possible to push in an alternative implementation of Java Preferences (e.g. to use some other type of backing store) via the java.util.prefs.PreferencesFactory system property, but it's not been tested and I don't know of anyone having done this with the SMC.

Posted by dshorowitz on 07-Mar-2012 09:15

Awesome!  I actually looked in the Registry, but silly me was looking for something under Software\Progress.

I will experiment with this info!

Thanks!

Posted by dshorowitz on 07-Mar-2012 10:35

I actually found more complete connection info in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\sonicsw\ma\gui\.

Tried to copy this branch to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT and try to create a new user, but the new user did not get created with those prefs in place.

This thread is closed