Sonic Connect - only for Actional and web services?

Posted by bjorn_kroghrud on 24-Apr-2012 02:34

I am trying to find information on what the Sonic Connect service type can be used for.

According to the "Sonic ESB Configuration and Management Guide", it looks as if its for Actional and web services.

Is this correct, or can this service type be used for other types of connections (for instance Camel connections)?

All Replies

Posted by Kiran Babu on 24-Apr-2012 02:39

Sonic Connect Service is just like any other ESB Service, this would enable you to build Web Services and RESTful Web Services. You can expose ESB Processes as Web Services or RESTful Services and you can consume external Web Services and RESTful Web Services.  For doing this you do not need Actional.

Actional is required when you want to cover your Web Services with some security aspects.

Posted by bjorn_kroghrud on 24-Apr-2012 02:52

Thanks Kiran.

So, it is only for web services and not for "connections" in general (in some way)?

Posted by Kiran Babu on 24-Apr-2012 02:54

Yes. Right now it is useful for Web Services and RESTful Web Services.

Posted by testsoa on 24-Apr-2012 02:54

Kiran,

please, and is this Actional Intermediary licensed with Sonic ESB, or it should be bought separately?

(If separately, then this seems to me like a step back - in V7, WS-Security was available with Sonic ESB, and in V8, it should be paid for?)

Thank you,

Pavol Mederly

Posted by sfritz on 24-Apr-2012 03:06

Hello,

WS-Security is still available as it was in 7.6/7.5.

You can still expose WS-Security via the SonicMQ broker.

But the recommended approach is to use Actional Intermediary (a separate license) as it provides a much richer functionallity.

Let us knwo what you try to achieve rather than starting a featuers discussion here.

Then it is easier for us to help you :-)

Thanks

Stefan

Posted by testsoa on 24-Apr-2012 03:47

Thank you, Stefan. Actually, we are OK with https for now, but our system landscape is dynamically changing, so it is possible that we would need WS-Security some day. (I was just curious, to be informed before that day comes.)

I will ask you for more details if (when) the need really comes. We are a public university in Central Europe (Slovakia), so the IT budget is very low; that's why I asked about separate licensing.

Best regards,

Pavol

This thread is closed