SonicMQ 7.6 and 8.5.1 on the same machine

Posted by appmath on 18-May-2012 10:58

Hello,

I already have 7.6 installed on my machine (Win 7) and I have just installed 8.5.1.

I tried to go over some of the concepts in the sonic_install doc by installing and running a domain manager (page 35) and installing and running a container and host manager (page 36).
The first part was successful while a the second part was a complete failure, even when I used a second machine (Win XP) d from which I launched the Sonic Container Launcher. The host manager never showed up on my SMC.
BTW, I need to support these 2 versions and I absolutely need to have them installed on my machine (at the very least, I need to have both SMC vesions installed but only 1 running at a time) .
I tried every permutation I can think of and nothing seems to work and I am left with the possibility that somehow 7.6 and 8.5 share something like the Win registry which in turn prevents me from installing the host manager.
Thanks,
Aziz

All Replies

Posted by rrudis on 18-May-2012 11:04

You may be misinterpreting the use and/or need for a host manager component.  What is it that you want to be running in the 2nd container (i.e. the Container Launcher container)?

Posted by appmath on 18-May-2012 11:20

Thx for the quick reply.

I was test-driving the new Sonic Container Launcher.

I was trying to wrap my head around the new 8.5 functionality, I am only familiar with 7.6. To achieve that goal, I tried to apply some of the concepts in your doc.

I was under the impression that I was "configuring a messaging broker for a remote system". I thought that this was the recommended process to deploy brokers to a remote system.

Exploring Centralized Installation on One Machine

You can explore centralized installation on one machine with the understanding that:

●One Launcher Installer represents all the remote hosts.

●One installed container and Host Manager is used for all the setups.

●The broker ports need to be adjusted so that they do not conflict. In distributed deployments, the host names will need to be distinguished but not the ports.

●The ‘lost’ broker is represented by stopping its container and then deleting its entire working directory.

The example shows how an administrator can use several distributed containers to manage real business deployments with no need to access the host systems directly.

The following pages describe and illustrate these procedures:

1.“Installing and Running a Domain Manager”

2.“Installing and Running a Container and Host Manager”

3.“Configuring a Messaging Broker for a Remote System”

4.“Deploying the Messaging Broker on a Remote System”

5.“Configuring a Backup Broker”

6.“Deploying the Backup Broker on a Remote System”

7.“Setting up Replication Connections for the Broker Peers”

8.“Recovering from Catastrophic Failure Gracefully”

Posted by davila on 18-May-2012 12:55

When you say "the second part was a complete failure", what do you mean? What happened? You tried installing a launcher and something went wrong?

Posted by appmath on 18-May-2012 13:37

I have attached a screenshot of the missing host manager.

Posted by davila on 18-May-2012 13:42

Where did you fail to see it? You are pointing to an MF container that contains a host manager, so it is there in this environment. Where is it missing?

Posted by appmath on 18-May-2012 13:51

What I have attached is a screenshot from your own documentation (my end goal). Mine doesn't show anything that's interesting to look at, but for this conversation's sake I am attaching a screenshot that shows my own SCM.

Posted by davila on 18-May-2012 14:08

DId you attempt to create an MF container and Host manager during the launcher installation? Or did you try to create one after the installation? If it was during the installation, do you have the installation log file?

Posted by appmath on 18-May-2012 14:12

I followed the directions in the documentation to the letter, this is exactly what I did:

Installing and Running a Container and Host Manager

While you could use the Domain Manager’s installation to create additional containers, this example will use a separate installation as though it were a remote host. Using a host manager will make it easy to setup and launch additional containers.

◆To install and setup a container that has a host manager:

1.On the same computer, run the Sonic Container Launcher Installer.

2.Accept the default location.

3.Choose to configure a container, and then click Next.

4.Accept the connection information, and then click Next.

The default settings will connect to your local Domain Manager.

5.Set the container path and name to /Containers/ctHmremoteHost.

6.Select to create the container configuration if it does not exist.

7.Choose to configure a Host Manager in the container. Accept the HM Path as is.

8.Click Next.

9.Choose to launch the container process.

10.Click Next, and then click Install.

The container’s host manager will provide administrative access to setup and launch other containers in the installation location. It is now configured in the domain and running.

Obviously, the steps below were useless, I couldn't locate the host manager:

Configuring a Messaging Broker for a Remote System

To illustrate broker replication, configure a container that hosts a broker. You need to provide a SonicMQ broker license key that supports Continuous Availability to achieve broker replication.

◆To configure a broker for the example:

1.Start the Sonic Management Console.

2.Connect to Domain1 at tcp://hostname:2506 where hostname is the local system.

The example is not security enabled so you do not need a username or password.

3.On the Configure tab:

a.Right-click on the Containers folder, and then choose New > Configuration.

Choose Shortcut to Container. In the dialog box, enter the name ct1. Click OK.

b.Right-click on the Brokers folder, and then choose New > Configuration.

Choose Shortcut to Broker. In the dialog box, enter the name br1 and enter a SonicMQ control key that supports Continuous Availability. Click OK.

c.To avoid port conflicts in this all-on-one-system example, you need to assign the new broker a different port. Expand the Broker A configuration, and the click on Acceptors. In the right panel, double-click on TCP_ACCEPTOR. Change the port to 2516. Click OK.

4.In the Containers folder, right-click on ct1, and then choose Add component. Enter any name, such as Broker 1 Primary. Locate br1, and then click OK.

Next, you will use the Host Manager on the remote host to setup the container on the remote host, and then launch it.

Posted by davila on 18-May-2012 14:55

The log of the installation of the launcher installer should have information to help figure out what happened. The file is /Progress_Sonic_Container_Launcher_InstallLog. There should also be a file called DEBUG_container_setup_ctHmremoteHost in the same directory for the container that the installer tried to setup. Do you have these files?

Posted by appmath on 18-May-2012 15:00

I have already looked at it and I didn't see anything of value (in terms of error info).

Here it is I really hope it's helpful to you.

Posted by davila on 18-May-2012 15:10

The text in that log file is the usage text of the container setup command, which means that when the container went to get setup by the installer, the setup command did not see the arguments it was expecting, failed to setup the container, and printed the usage. That script can be used outside the installer as well, so an end user would see that text in that case. If the container setup had been successful, you would see something like:

==============STDOUT=================
[12/05/03 11:18:09] (info) Container "Windows2008" was set up in "c:\SonicLauncher\Containers\dmModel.Windows2008"

Progress_Sonic_Container_Launcher_InstallLog will have more info, and will have the arguments passed in to the container setup. If you have that, I can look at that.

Posted by rrudis on 18-May-2012 15:13

What happens when you try to start the ctHmremoteHost container? Is there a log file under \Containers\Domain1.ctHmremoteHost?

Posted by appmath on 18-May-2012 15:18

I looked under this directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Progress\SonicLauncher

But I wasn't able to find anything closely resembling Progress_Sonic_Container_Launcher_InstallLog

Posted by appmath on 18-May-2012 15:19

There is absolutely nothing under C:\Program Files (x86)\Progress\SonicLauncher\Containers

Posted by davila on 18-May-2012 15:43

So somehow the installer ran, was not able to setup the container, and was not able to write the install log file. Were there any error notifications in the installer GUI? Did you have the 8.5.1 domain manager running when you tried to install the launcher?

It might be faster to contact Sonic Technical support.

Posted by appmath on 18-May-2012 15:57

No, I didn't see anything in the GUI and I did follow the instructions by starting the domain manager before moving to the Sonic Container Launcher step. And believe me when I say that I tried (way too) many times, even starting the SCL from a different machine while running the domain manager from my machine.

How can I contact tech support?

Posted by rrudis on 21-May-2012 08:25

You should be able to open a support case at http://progresslink.progress.com/supportlink.

This thread is closed