Problems with AppBuilder and OCX in Arcade Showroom 11.4

Posted by ske on 02-Oct-2014 06:40

Hi,

In Arcade Showroom, I tried running the pre-installed virtual machine with OpenEdge 11.4, and then tried doing a couple of things in the stand-alone AppBuilder and also in the AppBuilder perspective in Developer Studio, but I had some problems in this version, as compared to the machines for previous versions in Arcade Showroom, for instance 11.3.

  • In this version, I could no longer find the standard OCX controls CSSPin and CSComboBox in the AppBuilder object palette. Only PSTimer. Where did the other two go? The 11.4 documentation still says they should be there, and in 11.3 they are.
  • In the stand-alone AppBuilder (only), when I open some random non-visual procedure file, usually AppBuilder opens a window with a treeview of the code sections in that file, in addition to the procedure editor window. But in this version, the section window doesn't show anything, it is just all grey background. Why?
  • I tried creating a new SmartWindow, and then selected adding a general SmartObject, and then browsed to C:\Progress\OpenEdge\gui\src\adm2\dyntreeview.w to add this as the SmartObject. That works in previous versions, but here I get a dialog showing me error 6087 about some referenced OCX not being available. Why?

(This was tested two weeks ago. I tried asking through other channels in the meantime, without answer.)

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 02-Oct-2014 06:48

Is that machine using 64 bit Progress? Most OCX Controls do not work on 64 bit Progress.
Can you install 32 bit Progress?

Posted by ske on 02-Oct-2014 07:33

As I said, this is a pre-installed machine in Progress Arcade Showroom. I can not insall anything there, it is the way Progress installed it, and that's it. They did not provide two different machines for 11.4, one with 32 and one with 64 bit Progress, either.

The name of the machine provided does not say whether it is 32 or 64 bit. Windows on the provided machine seems to be 64 bit, when I check that in Windows. Not sure how to tell whether the installed Progress product is 64 or 32 bit.

Even so, is the section window of AppBuilder not supposed to work in 64 bit Progress?

Posted by Tjerk Coomans on 02-Oct-2014 07:41

Hi,

If you look in the progress install dlc\bin there you can find a prowin.exe or a prowin32.exe

just prowin means 64bit install

The section editor should still work in 64, but the outline treeview is not there anymore.

Posted by Tjerk Coomans on 02-Oct-2014 07:43

Another suggestion would be to use PDSOE instead of studio. It's fully integrated from 11.2. You still have the old designer but can also use all new capabilities of PDSOE.

Posted by Peter Judge on 02-Oct-2014 08:12

I don't know if the OE client is 64 bit or not, but if it is, then 32 bit OCX's are not supported. See http://documentation.progress.com/output/OpenEdge114/openedge114/#page/gsins/OpenEdge.260.html for a statement to that effect.

-- peter

[collapse]