Installing OE on Amazon cloud

Posted by kunal.watkar on 10-May-2014 14:08

Hi,

I am planning to install OE10.2B on amazon cloud and then I am going to manage my application on cloud.

I do not  have any experience about cloud. I just have got a free instance to do my trials.

Can anyone please let me know if there are any extra steps needs to take care of while installing OE on cloud?

Also, how to connect to OE instance on cloud? Do I need to used Progress DataDirect connectivity? Is it requires any license?

All Replies

Posted by kunal.watkar on 10-May-2014 16:23

I got the solution in one of the threads in this forum.

Still, if you have any suggestion/experience to share please let me know.

Also, I am planning to install QAD SE on amazon cloud. Please let me know if any one of you have any idea about it.

Posted by Roy Ellis on 12-May-2014 07:06

Almost everything is the same when installing OpenEdge in the cloud versus on premise.  The biggest problem is opening up the ports you need to access the application or database.

If you will be using just the database in the cloud you need to open the database ports.  If your application is web-based you need to open the ports to access the web server.  If your application is AppServer based you need top open the ports to the AppServer and NameServer (if not going through AIA).  

Lastly if you are using the AppServer or WebSpeed with the NameServer you may need to check your "registrationMode".  If set to Register-IP it may be sending the internal IP address and if your client is accessing from outside the Amazon cloud it will fail to connect.

Posted by kunal.watkar on 12-May-2014 07:50

Hi Elis,

Thanks for the inputs. I installed the Openedge in amazon EC2 cloud. Now I am planning to install QAD on same EC2 instance.

Now, I am wondering, if there is any service in amazon that will let me access the application I have installed in EC2 from any web based client.

Please let me know if you have any idea about it.

Posted by Roy Ellis on 12-May-2014 08:36

Hi Kunal,

not sure what you are looking for with your question.  

Once in the Amazon cloud your application can be accessed anywhere internet is available.

As for a web based client, there are so many web based clients:

HTTP, SOAP, REST, 4GL, JAVA, C#, Mobile

Your application will decide what web based clients can access your application.

Let me know if you have a more specific web based client question.

Roy Ellis

Progress Software

Posted by kunal.watkar on 12-May-2014 09:00

Hi Elis,

I am not able to specify my requirement clearly. But its something like, I have windows executable application (.exe). I need to call that application without taking RDP to amazon instance. And, I was wondering if I can interact with my application, may be through web browser (e.g IE, Firefox. Chrome).

It's a third-party application, so I can't make any changes to application.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 12-May-2014 09:10

How do you do it today on-premise?

Posted by kunal.watkar on 12-May-2014 09:17

Hi Tom,

Sorry, I did not got your question.

Till now, I am managing my application on-premise.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 12-May-2014 10:00

Right.  Today you manage it on-premise and connect this 3rd party .exe somehow.  How do you connect it today?  You must have to configure it somehow -- what do you do?  Specify a host and a port?  What would you currently do to re-configure this application if you were to change your on-premise server?  Knowing that will explain what you need to do in order to get it working with EC2.

Posted by kunal.watkar on 12-May-2014 10:08

Hi Tom,

You must be knowing QAD .NetUI client. We install .NetUI client on our local machine, which connects to the QAD installed on remote server.

I want to access QAD .Netui client installed on amazon EC2. I don't want every user to install same client on their machine and that's why looking if its possible to access the client installed on amazon.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 12-May-2014 10:26

I know next to nothing about QAD's clients.

But -- if you install it on EC2 then you need to RDP to an EC2 instance to run it.

There might be some Windows kludge, err, magic that makes the RDP process less visible -- but you'd have to ask a Windows person about that.

Posted by Roy Ellis on 12-May-2014 10:39

Sounds like what you are looking for is Terminal Services RemoteApp.  This is Windows terminal services functionality that allows users to launch just an application remotely instead of the whole remote desktop.

for more info:  technet.microsoft.com/.../cc753844(v=ws.10).aspx

Roy Ellis

ellis@progress.com

Posted by kunal.watkar on 12-May-2014 12:06

Tom and Elis,

Thanks for your replies.

I have implemented RemoteApp services for one of client for the same purpose. I have kept it as a last option.

Just checking if I get any alternative.

This thread is closed