jms - interface :)

Posted by Admin on 26-Apr-2011 03:59

As  there isn't going to be any presentation about that pet project of mine  at upcoming PUG Americas and the 'collaboration' here seems to mean  more that anyone can borrow what he see fit from other implementations  into his own :)... I though I just throw that in in case someone can find  something useful in there: http://sourceforge.net/projects/progress-jms

It's about implementing the JMS messaging interface for Progress ABL,  most of the work so far was to implement core functionality like  collections, hash map, data streams and other things like that... I'll  try to commit a new version this week in case there is anyone  interested.

All Replies

Posted by abevoelker on 26-Apr-2011 16:11

Cool!  Looks like you implemented a lot of useful functionality available in Java.  How's the performance?  I started something similar a long while ago using Sun's JDK as a base, but didn't go nearly as far as you.  I was discouraged by the poor performance of my StringBuilder and threw in the towel.

As far as JMS, we took the easy route at work and implemented the Stomp protocol.  An adapter runs on the ActiveMQ instance to go between StompJMS.  I wish I could share the beautiful code, but my employer isn't groovy with that mentality yet.  Works like a dream, though.

Posted by Admin on 26-Apr-2011 16:25

the beautiful code, but my employer isn't groovy with that mentality yet.

Last post +1? It's hard too say good bye....

Welcome back.

Posted by abevoelker on 26-Apr-2011 16:52

Haha thanks, what I meant was that it was my last post for that thread since I agreed that it wasn't going anywhere.  Although I probably said a long time ago it was my last post ever, lol

Although today is my last day at my Progress programming job.  I haven't started looking for another one yet, because I want to take a couple weeks to brush up on my Comp. Sci material (algorithms, data structures, design patterns, etc.) and try out some Ruby and Node.JS before applying.

Posted by Admin on 26-Apr-2011 17:40

It's about implementing the JMS messaging interface for Progress ABL, most of the work so far was to implement core functionality like collections, hash map, data streams and other things like that... I'll try to commit a new version this week in case there is anyone interested.

Yes, absolutely... But best would be if someone (Peter J., Mike O., anyone) would look at that stuff and take the crown jewels and merge that with the core SDK classes from the AutoEdge|The Factory OpenEdge.Lang package.

And of course you may submit a presentation proposal for the EMEA PUG Challenge, November 3rd and 4th 2011 in Amsterdam. Official call for papers will be out very soon, but pre-submissions are always accepted.

And of course we may find a couple of minutes to fit that into the German PUG meeting on May 12th in Frankfurt.

Posted by Admin on 27-Apr-2011 01:38

Thanks, well the 'trick' for string builder (or  buffer) was to use a SAX-WRITER with 'fragment' set to true... it will  pipe-in everything in a longchar variable and works faster than  re-sizing memory buffers, first I did something similar with your  expandCapacity (and in fact for output buffers it's still the only  option as there can be binary data streamed through)... I've missed the  flamboyant comment at the end thought

Thing is that there are a lot of code out there that basically does the  same thing, a lot can't be made available to the community for reasons  like you mentioned... that's why I though that some of the 'core'  functionality like what one can take for granted in JDK should be  implemented by a community effort if PSC does not step in and provide  that so everyone can use it and concentrate on writing business  applications as we are used to.

Posted by Admin on 27-Apr-2011 01:44

Thanks Mike,

we'll see about EMEA PUG Challenge, I'll sure try to send some proposals and hope not to miss that too

For May German PUG I just might add 2-3 slides about that at the end of  my reporting solution presentation, unless you think that could be  confusing for the audience... after all those are pretty different  topics

This thread is closed